Badge Number: 86685, Sub Branch: Port Adelaide


Service Number: 3416
Enlisted: 21 July 1915
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 50th Infantry Battalion
Born: Glanville, SA, 1894
Home Town: Glanville, South Australia
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Labourer
Died: Suffocation by smoke inhalation in fire, Kirton Point, SA, 6 March 1937
Cemetery: Port Lincoln Catholic Cemetery
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

21 Jul 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, SN 3416, 10th Infantry Battalion
27 Oct 1915: Involvement Private, SN 3416, 10th Infantry Battalion
27 Oct 1915: Embarked Private, SN 3416, 10th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Benalla, Adelaide
11 Nov 1918: Involvement Private, SN 3416, 50th Infantry Battalion
Date unknown: Wounded SN 3416, 50th Infantry Battalion

Help us honour Denis McCarthy's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Faithe Jones

Eyre's Peninsula Tribune (Cowell, SA: 1910 - 1950), Thursday 11 March 1937, page 2
Port Lincoln. Monday — Denis McCarthy, laborer, 58, single, was burnt to death on Saturday night when a camp in the scrub at Kirton Point was destroyed by fire. The camp was one of a number of unemployed camps in the locality, and was constructed of bags, packing cases, and straightened-out kerosene tins, and it was quickly burnt down. Another occupant of the camp, John Sullivan, was awakened by the root falling in, and managed to scramble out through a hole in the side. He sustained a severely burnt arm, Sullivan was not aware of McCarthy's presence in the camp. It was not until early morning that McCarthy was missed from his camp 200 yards away, and when a search was made the body was discovered. Identity was established by personal articles nearby. McCarthy was well known on the West Coast. He was connected with the ketch trade for many years, and was a returned soldier.
Chronicle (Adelaide, SA : 1895 - 1954), Thursday 18 March 1937, page 17
Open Verdict Returned
The adjourned enquiry into the circumstances of the death of Denis McCarthy, 58, wharf laborer, of Port Lincoln, whose charred body was found in the remains of a hut occupied by John Sullivan at Kirton Point on Saturday, March 6, was concluded by the coroner (Mr. W. B. Richardson), who found that McCarthy came to his death by suffocation as the result of the fire. There was not sufficient evidence, he added, to show how the outbreak occurred.