John Eric (Ricky) MCGLASHAN


Service Numbers: Not yet discovered
Enlisted: Not yet discovered
Last Rank: Captain
Last Unit: Medical Officers
Born: Orroroo South Australia, 31 August 1888
Home Town: Not yet discovered
Schooling: Carrieton Public School and University of Adelaide, South Australia,
Occupation: Medical Practitioner
Died: Ruptured Aortic Aneurism, Perth Western Australia, 16 October 1942, aged 54 years
Cemetery: Not yet discovered
Memorials: Adelaide Grand Masonic Lodge WW1 Honour Board (2), Adelaide University of Adelaide WW1 Honour Roll, Booleroo Centre WW1 Roll of Honour
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

11 Sep 1916: Involvement Captain, Medical Officers, --- :embarkation_roll: roll_number: '23' embarkation_place: Melbourne embarkation_ship: HMAT Euripides embarkation_ship_number: A14 public_note: ''
11 Sep 1916: Embarked Captain, Medical Officers, HMAT Euripides, Melbourne

Help us honour John Eric McGlashan's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Annette Summers



John Eric “Ricky” McGlashan was born at Orroroo SA on the 31st August 1888. He was the eldest son of John McGlashan of Salisbury.  He was educated at Carrieton Public School and studied medicine at the University of Adelaide graduating in 1909. He married Mary Beatrice Gardner on 16th February 1915 at the St Peter’s College Chapel. He took up a general practice at Booleroo Centre, South Australia.

McGlashan enlisted in the AAMC on the 17th April 1916. He was 29 years old, with wife named as his next of kin.  He had previous experience in the AAMC Reserve. He was 5ft 8ins tall, weighed 140lbs, with a ruddy complexion, brown hair and eyes. He embarked from Melbourne on the 11th September 1916 and arrived in Plymouth, England on the 26th October and was posted to 3 AAH. He spent most of April 1917 in France, with 2 AGH, seconded to the 32nd Stationary Hospital until September, then in October to 14 FdAmb. He was detached to 56 Bn for a month in February 1918.  At Mericourt on the Somme in July he was awarded the Military Cross because ‘he visited his various posts under heavy shell and machine-gun fire and was largely responsible for the successful evacuation of the wounded, in the open under the observation of the enemy’   He was granted study leave from March to June 1919, with return to Australia in June 1919 onboard the Boonah. His appointment was terminated on the 8th August. He was issued with the British War Medal and the Victory Medal.

After the war McGlashan returned to Adelaide and moved to Perth in 1924. He took positions as a dermatologist at the Perth Hospital and Children’s Hospital. John Eric McGlashan died in Perth on 16th October 1942 of a ruptured aortic aneurism. He was survived by his wife, Mary.


Blood, Sweat and Fears: Medical Practitioners and Medical Students of South Australia, who Served in World War 1. 

Verco, Summers, Swain, Jelly. Open Books Howden, Adelaide 2014. 

Uploaded by Annette Summers AO RFD