Nils Christian PEDERSEN


PEDERSEN, Nils Christian

Service Number: 1964
Enlisted: 19 May 1915, Keswick, South Australia
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 10th Infantry Battalion
Born: Christiana, Norway, date not yet discovered
Home Town: Not yet discovered
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Railway packer
Died: Killed in Action, France, 30 May 1918, age not yet discovered
Cemetery: La Kreule Military Cemetery, Hazebrouck
Memorials: Adelaide National War Memorial, Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

19 May 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, SN 1964, 27th Infantry Battalion, Keswick, South Australia
23 Aug 1915: Involvement Private, SN 1964, 27th Infantry Battalion
23 Aug 1915: Embarked Private, SN 1964, 27th Infantry Battalion, RMS Morea, Adelaide
30 May 1918: Involvement Private, SN 1964, 10th Infantry Battalion

Help us honour Nils Christian Pedersen's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Robert Kearney

Keen regret was expressed at Salisbury at the intelligence that Private N. C. Pedersen (familiarly known as "Peter"), of the 10th Battalion (previously of the 27th) had been killed in action in France
on May 30, at the age of 31 years. The deceased soldier, who was a native of Norway, and had no relatives in Australia, for many years followed a seafaring life, and had much whaling experience
in Greenland. He was engaged later in timber carriers between America, England, and Australia, in which capacity he arrived in Australia about five years prior to the outbreak of war. While his
ship was in port he contracted typhoid fever in a severe form, and his ship sailed during his illness. On his recovery Private Pedersen spent some time between Adelaide and Loxton, and subsequently secured a position in the Railway Department at Oodnadatta. He enlisted and entered camp in May, 1915, and sailed in August. He was among the first of the Australian troops to enter France, where he remained until severely wounded in August, 1916. He was invalided to Australia, where he arrived in December, 1916. He again sailed for England in June, 1917, and had been only a short time in France when he met his death.