William Richardson CAMERON

CAMERON, William Richardson

Service Number: 3257
Enlisted: 28 July 1915, Keswick, South Australia
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 50th Infantry Battalion
Born: Paskeville, South Australia, 4 September 1898
Home Town: Maylands (SA), Norwood Payneham St Peters, South Australia
Schooling: Wellington Road State School, Norwood, South Australia
Occupation: Driver
Died: Killed in Action, France, 16 August 1916, aged 17 years
Cemetery: No known grave - "Known Unto God"
Memorials: Adelaide National War Memorial, Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour, Moonta All Saint's Anglican Church Memorial Honour Roll, St Peters Heroes War Memorial, Villers-Bretonneux Memorial (Australian National Memorial - France)
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

28 Jul 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Keswick, South Australia
27 Oct 1915: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, 3257, 10th Infantry Battalion, Battle for Pozières , --- :embarkation_roll: roll_number: '10' embarkation_place: Adelaide embarkation_ship: HMAT Benalla embarkation_ship_number: A24 public_note: ''
27 Oct 1915: Embarked AIF WW1, Private, 3257, 10th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Benalla, Adelaide
16 Aug 1916: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, 3257, 50th Infantry Battalion, Battle for Pozières , --- :awm_ww1_roll_of_honour_import: awm_service_number: 3257 awm_unit: 50 Battalion awm_rank: Private awm_died_date: 1916-08-16

Help us honour William Richardson Cameron's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.



Mrs. W. J. Cameron, of Janet-street, Maylands, has learned that her only son, Private William Richardson Cameron, was killed in action in France on August 16. Private Cameron left South Australia for Egypt on October 27, 1915. At the time of his death he was only 18 years of age. Before enlistment he was employed as a driver by Messrs. W. T. Flint & Sons, of Hindley-street. He was a member of the Church of Christ at Maylands, and was a brother of Miss F. M. Cameron (a missionary in India for the Churches of Christ)." - from the Adelaide Chronicle 21 Oct 1916  (nla.gov.au)