Raymond Augustus STANLEY DSO, MiD

STANLEY, Raymond Augustus

Service Number: Officer
Enlisted: 19 October 1914, Brisbane, Queensland
Last Rank: Major
Last Unit: 5th Divisional Signal Company
Born: Brisbane, Queensland, 14 April 1883
Home Town: Brisbane, Brisbane, Queensland
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Assistant Government Analyst
Died: Natural causes, Brisbane, Queensland, 20 July 1930, aged 47 years
Cemetery: Toowong (Brisbane General) Cemetery
Plot: Portion 5, Section 69, Grave No. 17
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

19 Oct 1914: Enlisted AIF WW1, Captain, SN Officer, 2nd Light Horse Brigade Signal Troop, Brisbane, Queensland
22 Dec 1914: Embarked AIF WW1, Captain, SN Officer, 2nd Light Horse Brigade Signal Troop, HMAT A30 Borda, Brisbane
22 Dec 1914: Involvement AIF WW1, Captain, 2nd Light Horse Brigade Signal Troop, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
11 May 1915: Involvement AIF WW1, Captain, SN Officer, 2nd Light Horse Brigade HQ, 'ANZAC' / Gallipoli
13 May 1915: Wounded AIF WW1, Captain, SN Officer, 2nd Light Horse Brigade HQ, 'ANZAC' / Gallipoli, Shrapnel (right arm)
1 Apr 1917: Promoted AIF WW1, Major, 5th Divisional Signal Company
25 Mar 1919: Discharged AIF WW1, Major, SN Officer, 5th Divisional Signal Company, Cessation of hostilities

Help us honour Raymond Augustus Stanley's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Paul Trevor

On the 1 March 1920, Raymond A. Stanley was re-instated as a Major in Commanding  the 1st Signal Company in Brisbane. A year later he was promoted to a Lieutenant Colonel and was appointed to Command the 5th Divisional Signal Headquarters. This appointment continued for another six years before he retired and transferred to the unattached list in March 1927.

Mentioned in Despatches (www.awm.gov.au)

3-9th November 1915 on Gallipoli

"On the night of 3-4 November a forward movement on a pre-arranged plan was made from Chatham’s Post towards the Bird trenches. The arrangements involved the reconnaissance by night of the enemy’s front and the construction of a tunnel towards a knoll 100 yards distant. The forward movement, the unopposed occupation of the knoll and the construction of a fire trench were completed on the 3-4 November. On the night of 4-5 November the enemy made four unsuccessful attempts on the new position which was improved and consolidated during the 5th under heavy rifle and shell fire. On the night of 7-8 November a further advance of 30 yards was made under enemy bombing and rifle fire and the position finally secured. During the operations Captain Stanley rendered excellent service. The communications were maintained in a most excellent manner during each  advance." Source:'Commonwealth Gazette' No. 165 Date: 24 October 1918

Awarded the Distinguished Service Order (www.awm.gov.au)

"For meritorious service and devotion to duty Major Stanley has been in command of the 5th Australian Divisional Signal Company since 14 March 1915. During the period 22 September 1917 to 24th February 1918, his work has been of the greatest assistance to the Division. During the operations east of Ypres September and October 1917, his organisation and maintaining communications very often under difficult conditions of weather and shell fire contributed in a very large measure to the success of the operations of the Division." Source:'Commonwealth Gazette' No. 173 Date: 7 November 1918


Lieut.-Col. R. A. Stanley.

The death took place at 10 o'clock yesterday morning, at his late residence Appell-street, South Brisbane, of Lieutenant-Colonel Raymond Augustus Stanley, DSO, VD, after a long illness. The late Colonel Stanley was born in Brisbane on April 14 1883. He took an eager interest in defence matters in his early years, and joined the electrical section of the Corps of Australian Engineers in February, 1903, transferring to the Submarine Mining Company the following year. He was promoted to commissioned rank as lieutenant in 1908, and obtained his captaincy in 1913. He served with the AIF throughout the World War, leaving Brisbane on November 6, 1914 as captain of the 2nd Signalling Troop, and was transferred to the 5th Division Signallers on March 14 1916. He was promoted to the rank of major on April 1, 1917 and was demobilised on March 25, 1919. On return from active service he was a major in the Signal Division, and on March 31, 1921, was appointed to command of signals for Queensland, with the rank of Lieutenant-colonel. His period of command was extended until March 31, 1926 when he was transfened to the unattached list.

For his services with the AIF he was awarded the DSO, 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, and the Victory Medal. He was mentioned in despatches on three occasions. He was awarded the Colonial Auxiliary Force Officers Decoration in 1923. His war service included operations in Egypt, Gallipoli and with the Egyptian Expeditionary Force to January 1916, and operations in France and Belgium until September 10 1918. He was one of the first three officers to be gazetted to the Queensland Cadets prior to Federation.

For two years the late colonel was president of the United Service Club and he was a prominent figure in Masonic circles. He was worshipful master of the Naval and Military Lodge for 1928-29 and was immediate past master of that lodge at the time of his death. He is survived by his widow (formerly Miss Ruby Orton) and a daughter (Anne), aged 10 years. The late Colonel Stanley was an officer of the Government Analyst's Department and by his genial personality, kindly consideration and unswerving loyalty to his friends he was held in the highest esteem by all sections of the community. The funeral service will take place at All Saints' Church at 4 o clock this afternoon, and the remains will be laid to rest in the Toowong Cemetery." from The Brisbane Courier 21 Jul 1930 (nla.gov.au)