Fisher BEARD

BEARD, Fisher

Service Number: 3005
Enlisted: Not yet discovered
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 3rd Pioneer Battalion
Born: Semaphore, SA, 16 July 1891
Home Town: Fremantle, Fremantle, Western Australia
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Farmer
Died: 1961, cause of death not yet discovered, place of death not yet discovered
Cemetery: Fremantle Cemetery, Western Australia
Memorials: Kulin Roll of Honour, Shire of Kulin Combined Services Honour Board
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

29 Dec 1916: Involvement Private, 3005, 3rd Pioneer Battalion
29 Dec 1916: Embarked Private, 3005, 3rd Pioneer Battalion, HMAT Persic, Fremantle

Life Story

Enlisted 25th September 1916 at Blackboy Hill. He was born in Semaphore, South Australia in 1892 to parents Walter Fisher Beard and Emma Eliza Heath. He came to W.A with his family in 1904 where his father had set up a Drapery Business in Fremantle. His occupation was farmer. Left Fremantle on the “Persic” 29th December 1916. Fisher went to England and trained at Fovant before arriving in France on 8th September 1917.

He was awarded the Military Medal on 22nd August 1918.
The citation read “On the early morning of the 22nd August, 1918, between Etinhem and the Front Line immediately West of Bray-Sur-Somme, No 3005 Private Fisher Beard, who was a Runner attached to Battalion Headquarters, had to be sent with Despatches from D.H.Q to the Companies in the line. This work was of a very important nature, owing to heavy enemy artillery fire, communication was extremely difficult, as lines were continuously broken. On three occasions Private Beard made this trip, not only in the early morning, but later in the day when he was under full observation. Although subjected to very heavy artillery fire, and on approaching the Line, under direct rifle and machine gun fire, he successfully accomplished his task, showing exceptional courage and devotion to duty and setting a fine example to all ranks. His coolness throughout, and the promptness and despatch with which he carried out his duties are worthy of the very highest praise”.

Sadly in November 1918 Fisher’s father died suddenly. Fisher returned to Australia on 28th February 1919 on the “Anchises”. He returned to Kulin, his wife and farming. Fisher’s wife was Gertrude Wilson the sister of Albert and John Wilson who also served in WW1. In 1931 on the death of his older brother and mother Fisher returned to Fremantle and the family Drapery business. He and his wife had three adopted children. Fisher died in 1961 and is buried in the Fremantle Cemetery.

Courtesy of Lyn Myles

Showing 1 of 1 story


Son of Walter Fisher BEARD and Emma Eliza nee HEATH