Richard Parker CROZIER

CROZIER, Richard Parker

Service Number: 1506
Enlisted: Not yet discovered
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 23rd Infantry Battalion
Born: Brucedale, New South Wales, Australia, 29 March 1895
Home Town: Not yet discovered
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Farmer
Died: Congestive Cardiac failure and Coronary Artery disease, Concord, New South Wales, Australia, 13 June 1961, aged 66 years
Cemetery: Woronora General Cemetery, New South Wales
Memorials: Bass Glen Forbes Heroes Pictorial Roll of Honour, Bass Glen Forbes Roll of Honor WW1, Congupna State School Honour Roll
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

8 May 1915: Involvement Private, 1506, 23rd Infantry Battalion, --- :embarkation_roll: roll_number: '14' embarkation_place: Melbourne embarkation_ship: HMAT Euripides embarkation_ship_number: A14 public_note: ''
8 May 1915: Embarked Private, 1506, 23rd Infantry Battalion, HMAT Euripides, Melbourne

Richard Parker Crozier

Richard Parker CROZIER
Born: 29 March 1895, Brucedale, Wagga Wagga, NSW.
Baptised: 20 February 1897, Wagga Wagga, NSW.
Died: 13 June 1961, Concord, NSW
Occupation: Farmer

Richard was the seventh child of eleven children born to Margaret Ann PARKER and John CROZIER

Richard started life on his parent’s farm at Brucedale near Wagga Wagga, NSW and had started school when in 1901 at the age of 6, the family moved back to Victoria and lived on a farm in the Parish of Congupna, about 11 kilometres north of Shepparton. He would have finished his schooling at one of the Congupna state schools. (There were three schools at Congupna. Congupna 2164, Congupna Road 2563 & Congupna west 2428).

Richard, like most with this name, was known as 'Dick' and both names were used throughout his life. Even the newspapers referred to him as ‘Dick’.

Around 1909, when Richard was 14, the family moved south to a farm near Elaine, south of Ballarat and then moved again when his father took out a lease on a farm at Glen Forbes, in Gippsland, Victoria.

With the outbreak of World War One (WW1), Richard travelled down to Wonthaggi (about 25 km south of Glen Forbes) and enlisted into the Australian Imperial Forces – Army on 27 March 1915, service number 1506. As he was under 21 years old he had to produce a letter from his father permitting him to enlist.
After his initial training at Broadmeadows, north of Melbourne, Richard embarked with the 23rd Battalion AIF aboard ‘HMAT Euripides’ on 10 May 1915 bound for Alexandria, Egypt.

Advanced training was done in Egypt before they headed for Anzac Cove, Turkey, landing in early September.

On 4 October the 23rd Battalion was fighting in an area known as Lone Pine when Richard was seriously wounded with a gunshot wound to his right eye and lacerations to his head. He was evacuated to England via the ‘HMHS Assaye’
The 23rd Battalion was manning one of the most trying parts of the Anzac front line - Lone Pine. The fighting here was so dangerous and exhausting that battalions were relieved every day. The 23rd manned Lone Pine, alternating with the 24th Battalion, until they left Gallipoli in December 1915.

Credits: Australian War Memorial

Unfortunately, his eye could not be saved. After recuperating, Richard left England on 11 March 1916 aboard the ‘SS Suevic’, arriving in Australia on 22 April 1916. He was discharged on 25 July 1916.

Richard stayed in Melbourne, living with his sister Bessie at 5 Canterbury Road, Yarraville and found work as a labourer.

In 1917 Richard purchased land at Murrami, about 23 kilometres northwest of Leeton, NSW as part of the returned soldier’s settlement scheme. The block was 189 acres, being lot 190, Parish of Tenningerie. It was known as farm number 1100.

Richard created a football oval on his property and district games were played there. As stated in ‘The Murrumbidgee Irrigator’ on 6 July 1923, 'Despite most boisterous weather, a match was played at Mr Dick Crozier’s on Sunday last, between Stony Point and Murami team’. And again on 3 August 1923, 'Whitton met Murrami Football Team at the grounds of Mr R. Crozier, and resulted in a victory for the former by 19 points to 9'.

On Saturday 18 August 1923 a ‘Hard-Up Ball’ was held at Richard’s residence which proved most attractive. A 'Hard-Up Ball' was usually a theme where people came along dressed in rags and donated money to a particular cause.

On 8 September 1923, the Murrami branch of the Manchester Unity Independent Order of Oddfellows (M.U.I.O.O.F.) opened. After to official opening ceremony elections were held where 'Brother' Richard was elected one of the secretaries.

The Independent Order of Oddfellows Manchester Unity Friendly Society Limited, also called the Manchester Unity of Oddfellows; trading as The Oddfellows, is a fraternal order founded in Manchester in 1810.

These various organisations were set up to protect and care for their members and communities at a time when there was no welfare state or National Health Service. The aim was and still is to provide help to members and communities when they need it. The friendly societies are non-profit mutual organisations owned by their members. All income is passed back to the members in the form of services and benefits.

In 1840 Manchester Unity IOOF was founded in Victoria and the first lodge was established in Adelaide.

Credits: Wikipedia

A dance was held at Richard’s residence on Friday night 5 October 1923 under the auspices of the Murrami Football Club, and to wind up the football season with both ladies and gentlemen present.

On Saturday 27 October 1923, a social was held at Richard's residence to raise money in aid of the Sports Club at Gogeldrie which was largely attended.
Richard met Clarice MITCHELL and they were married on 18 August 1925 at the Presbyterian Church Manse in Leeton, NSW. The minister was David L. PATERSON and the witnesses were Richard’s brother Samuel James CROZIER and Jeanie PATERSON.

Clarice Mary MITCHELL was one of possibly eighteen children born on 28 December 1901 at Moonan Brook, NSW to Samuel MITCHELL and Sarah Trevallyn WILLIAMS. Moonan Brook is about 45 kilometres east of Scone, NSW.

Clarice’s father died when she was only 15 on 25 March 1917 at Moonan Brook, NSW. Her mother left Scone in 1920 and became a private nurse. She moved to Yenda in 1931 to nurse at the CWA Hospital. She remarried in 1936 to John Inglis McKENZIE and they lived in Griffith, NSW. During the war, she took up nursing in Griffith. Clarice most likely moved to Yenda with her mother.

On 9 October 1925 Richard and Clarice hosted a social and dance on behalf of the M.U.I.O.O.F. with an admission fee of 2 shillings. Members and non-members were welcome.

In 1927 Richard was summoned to the Leeton Court along with four others where he was charged with failing to keep down Bathurst Burrs. He was fined £1, 8 shillings.

Richard and Clarice had three children. Margaret June on 16 June 1925, Richard Parker in 1926 and Peter Mitchell in 1935. They were all born in Leeton. Sadly Richard died around the age of 1.

In June 1928 Richard found himself back before the Leeton Courts charged with failing to keep down Bathurst Burrs. The relieving police magistrate Mr C. NOTT delivered quite hefty fines stating, ‘they would find failing to destroy noxious weeds an expensive business’. As this was not Richard’s first fine he was hit hard with a fine of £8 plus 8 shillings court costs.

Richard had defaulted on two lots of rates payments and on 3 April 1929, the lease on his property at Murrami was surrendered.

In November 1929 Richard applied for and was successful in purchasing a farm at Yenda, about 14 kilometres northeast of Griffith, NSW. The property was 572 acres, 3 roods and 25 perches (231.8 hectares), being portion 114, Parish of Yenda. It was known as farm number 2340 and was 5 miles south of Yenda on the corner of the Yenda to Leeton Road (Whitton stock route Road) and Brien’s Road. Richard grazed sheep, cattle and horses as well as grain crops on the property.
In Jul 1931 while at Yenda Richard was called as a witness in an alleged arson case. Before the Narrandera Court was Ewen Anthony CAMERON, charged with maliciously damaging a motor lorry, the property of F. Rhead at Mirrool Creek on 19th April. He pleaded not guilty.

In the ‘Narrandera Argus and Riverina Advertiser’ the article went on to say, “Richard Crozier, residing at Yenda, stated that he saw a fire about 10 o'clock in the evening of 19th April. Witness went down next morning and saw where the motor lorry had been burnt”.

After all the other witnesses gave their evidence the article concluded with, "His Honour said that there was no evidence to justify the case being proceeded with. He directed the jury to return a verdict of not guilty. This was done, and the accused was discharged”.

On 14 February 1935 Richard, along with six others were made trustees of a 15-acre public recreation reserve at Wumbulgal, 12 kilometres south of Yenda. The term was usually for five years under the Public Trusts Act 1897.
In August 1935 Richard advertised in ‘The Land (Sydney)’ for workers. The advertisement simply stated, “WANTED, good Man with horses, and able to manage all farm machinery. State wages. R. P. CROZIER, Box 66, Yenda.”

In December 1935 Richard had a brand (ear tag) registered.

In March 1937 Richard advertised again for workers in the ‘Wagga Wagga Daily Advertiser’. The advertisement stated, “WANTED, Man for Farm Work, 30/- (30 shillings) per week, 10/- (10 shillings) per day for harvest; rice and wheat. Permanent for a good man. R. P. Crozier, Wilga Vale, Yenda."

On 28 July 1937 Richard’s father, John passed away at the residence of his daughter, Mrs. J. WHEADON (Henrietta Kate), at Portarlington at the age of 82. He is buried in the Footscray Cemetery.

In 1938 Richard leased his farm and on 24 March 1938, through agents Dalgety and Co. and Allen and Wright held a clearance sale by public auction at his property at Wilga Vale, Yenda. Everything from 1160 head of cross-bred sheep, 20 head of cattle, 24 horses including 2 'hacks', farm machinery, blacksmith tools, harnesses, seed, 2nd hand chaff bags as well as household furniture. Even the Singer sewing machine was on offer.

In January 1939 Richard purchased a house and block in Griffith at 8 Animoo Avenue from John James PLATT (allotment 22, section 47, town of Griffith) and moved the family into town. Richard continued working the farm at Yenda.
Richard’s mother Margaret passed away at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. J MATHER (Bessie), 10 Agnes Street, Yarraville on 19 August 1939 at the age of 76. She is buried with her husband John in Footscray.

On 3 September 1941, Richard was again before the courts. This time he was fighting the valuation the Wade Shire had determined on his farm at Yenda. In the ‘Riverina Grazier’ article, it stated, "An important decision was given by Mr R. Soiling, P.M. in the Griffith Valuation Court on Wednesday week when he gave his reserved decision in the appeal of Richard Parker Crozier against the Wade Shire valuation of £4295 in respect to Farm 2340, Yenda, of 572 acres, appellant's valuation being £2292. The P.M. fixed the U.C.V. (unimproved capital value) at £3437, approximately halfway between the valuations. This was possibly an attempt by Richard to reduce the amount of land tax he would have to pay when selling his property.

On 12 September 1941, Richard sold the Yenda farm to Arthur Robert BRIEN.
On 1 April 1942, Richard enlisted in the Volunteer Defence Corp – Army, service number N381005. He did not see any active service and was discharged on 30 September 1945 with the end of the war and the disbandment of the corps.
In December 1945 the house in Griffith was sold to Marguerite Joyce SPEIRS.
On the move again, this time they went further north to Sutherland, a southern suburb on the outskirts of Sydney where they leased a farm being portion 6, parish of Sutherland. The land backed onto the Gwawley Creek and in November 1952 Richard applied for a dam and pump to irrigate 6 acres.
In 1954 they moved 5 kilometres east where they lived at 73 Garnet Road, Miranda, NSW.

Clarice’s stepfather John died on 11 March 1948 in Griffith.
At some point, Richard and Clarice moved to live at 36 President Avenue, Gymea. (between Southerland and Miranda, Sydney).

Clarice’s mother Sarah died on 3 June 1954 in the Griffith District Hospital. She had been president of the hospital auxiliary for 12 years and was made a life member. She was also the first woman JP (Justice of the Peace) for Griffith. Sarah was 74.

Clarice died, possibly at home at Gymea at the age of 55 on 24 November 1958. She died of arteriosclerosis (cholesterol) and Hypertension (high blood pressure). Both of which she had suffered for many years. She is buried in the Presbyterian Cemetery at Woronora (Sutherland), NSW.

Richard ended up in the Concord Repatriation Hospital in Concord, Sydney where he died on 13 June 1961 at the age of 67. He died of congestive cardiac failure and coronary artery disease, both of which he had for years. He is buried with Clarice in the Woronora Cemetery.

Read more...
Showing 1 of 1 story