Leslie John FLEMING

FLEMING, Leslie John

Service Number: 3488
Enlisted: 23 August 1915, at Adelaide
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 10th Infantry Battalion
Born: Alberton, South Australia, Australia, June 1891
Home Town: Adelaide, South Australia
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Woodworking, Machinist
Died: 2 February 1971, cause of death not yet discovered, place of death not yet discovered
Cemetery: Centennial Park Cemetery, South Australia
Memorials: Rosewater Womens Memorial Roll of Honour WW1, Semaphore Roll of Honor
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

23 Aug 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, 3488, 27th Infantry Battalion, at Adelaide
12 Jan 1916: Involvement Private, 3488, 27th Infantry Battalion
12 Jan 1916: Embarked Private, 3488, 27th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Borda, Adelaide
11 Nov 1918: Involvement Private, 3488, 10th Infantry Battalion

Help us honour Leslie John Fleming's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Saint Ignatius' College

Before the war
Leslie John Fleming was born in June of 1891. He lived on Torrens Road in Alberton, South Australia with his mother, Mrs Minna Fleming. He was a single, Methodist and worked as a wood-working machinist for four and a half years before he enlisted. Leslie enlisted on the 23rd of August 1915. On enlistment, Leslie was 24 years old and 2 months old. His vision was impaired and before he embarked and had some kind of prescription for it. He received a vaccination in his right arm before departure as well. Leslie had hazel eyes, a medium complexion and dark hair. He was 174cm tall (5ft 7) and weighed 68.5Kg. Leslie was considered fit for service on the 9th of August 1915. He was placed in the 27th Battalion and he embarked from Adelaide, South Australia on board HMAT A30 Borda on the 12th of January 1916.
During the war
On the 28th of February 1916, Leslie was transferred from the 27th battalion to the 10th battalion, where most South Australians were. On the 17th of July 1917, Leslie went on leave to the UK. He returned from leave on the 2nd of August 1917. He was in the field on the 19th of November 1917. He was in the field for almost nine months before he got sick with a hernia in France on the 8th of April 1918. Leslie was discharged from hospital on the 17th of April that same year. He had constant hernias that would not go away. He took leave because of his hernias but decided to go back to fighting for his country.
After the war
Leslie returned home to Australia on the 20th of May 1919. He made it through the entire war with no wounds, which was both lucky and unusual. He lived a good life, passing away from unknown causes at the age of 80, on the 2nd of February 1971. He is buried in the Centennial Park Cemetery in South Australia.