Edney Phillip MOORE

MOORE, Edney Phillip

Service Number: 1427
Enlisted: 19 September 1914, Hobart, Tasmania
Last Rank: Sergeant
Last Unit: 1st Australian Clearing Hospital
Born: Hobart, Tasmania, 31 March 1890
Home Town: Hobart, Tasmania
Schooling: Goulburn Street State School
Occupation: Clerk (later Real Estate principal)
Died: Natural causes, Tasmania, 9 November 1970, aged 80 years
Cemetery: Cornelian Bay Cemetery and Crematorium, Tasmania
Grave site 29 Section JJ
Memorials: Hobart Roll of Honour
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

19 Sep 1914: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, SN 1427, 1st Australian Clearing Hospital, Hobart, Tasmania
5 Dec 1914: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 1427, 1st Australian Clearing Hospital, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
5 Dec 1914: Embarked AIF WW1, Private, SN 1427, 1st Australian Clearing Hospital, HMAT Kyarra, Melbourne
12 Feb 1916: Promoted AIF WW1, Sergeant, 1st Australian Clearing Hospital
25 Jun 1918: Discharged AIF WW1, Sergeant, SN 1427, 1st Australian Clearing Hospital

Help us honour Edney Phillip Moore's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.



Biography contributed by JOHN MOORE

Edney's parents, Albert Philip Moore and Mary Louisa Briant married on April the 27th 1887. Their marriage failed and Albert left for Queensland. Edney and his two younger brothers Max and Keith and their mother lived in a large family home and garden in upper Goulburn Street, Hobart. The boys grew up in happy surroundings, climbing the apple trees, gathering the walnuts and other fruits in the large garden.

During the landing at Anzac Cove, Gallipoli, Edney was in the Medical Corp, working frantically as the stretcher bearers brought down the hundreds of wounded. Keith his younger brother, was in the first bloody assault. Edney was in charge of a  clearing station, half way down.Someone called "Ned, take a look here", but at that moment he was too busy, so there was no lingering, so the stretcher passed on. Then his mate told him "Ned, that was your brother Keith I think". Edney chased down the hill, and sure enough it was Keith being sent down for evacuation to a London hospital.

Irene de Fouchecourt Bear was in the Voluntary Aid Detachment (V.A.D.) in London and Keith fell in love with her. But when he recovered he was sent to rejoin his contingent. When Edney was taking leave in London, Keith asked him to look up Irene. Edney and Irene fell in love and left Keith desolate. They married in London.

When Edney returned from the First World War in 1919 he became apprenticed to Saunders and Co, Real Estate Agents, and fom there he started his own real estate agency. With his keen business acumen, he rose to be the leading real estate valuer in Tasmania, doing all Government business and with a very thriving private business (later taken over by Hookers as L.J. Hooker and Edney Moore and then just as L.J. Hooker.)

(source; A Family History, A Personal Perspective. Phyllis Moore 1992. Unpublished)