Wentworth Edward BRADNEY


BRADNEY, Wentworth Edward

Service Number: 1620
Enlisted: 22 November 1915, Wagga, New South Wales
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 54th Infantry Battalion
Born: Wagga, New South Wales, 27 August 1883
Home Town: Wagga Wagga, New South Wales
Schooling: Private & Public Schools
Occupation: Labourer
Died: Killed in Action (shell), Glencorse Wood, Belgium, 24 September 1917, aged 34 years
Cemetery: No known grave - "Known Unto God"
Memorials: Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour, Menin Gate Memorial (Commonwealth Memorial to the Missing of the Ypres Salient), Richmond University of Western Sydney WW1 Memorial
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

22 Nov 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Wagga, New South Wales
14 Apr 1916: Embarked AIF WW1, Private, SN 1620, 55th Infantry Battalion, --- :embarkation_roll: roll_number: '19' embarkation_place: Sydney embarkation_ship: HMAT Ceramic embarkation_ship_number: A40 public_note: ''
14 Apr 1916: Embarked AIF WW1, Private, SN 1620, 55th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Ceramic, Sydney
24 Sep 1917: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 1620, 54th Infantry Battalion, Third Ypres

Help us honour Wentworth Edward Bradney's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.


Son of John and Catherine Bradney. Wentworth was the twin brother of Mabel Ademia Bradney, born at Wagga Wagga in 1883. He enlisted at Wagga Wagga on 22-11-1915 and joined the Kangaroo March to Sydney, 315 miles away. He was taken into the 'B' Company of the AIF at Goulburn, embarked on the 'Ceramic' at Sydney with the 2/55th Battalion and was transferred to the 54th Battalion, the same Battalion as his nephew Reginald Raymond Bradney/Wildman, who had enlisted on 31-12-1914 and who saw action at Gallipoli. They both served in Nth. Africa and then in France where they both died. His brother John also served in France with the 56th Battalion and was killed at Villers Bretonneux but his brother Donald Walter Bradney of the 14th Howitzer Unit survived and returned to Australia as an invalid. - Submitted by his great-niece Norma Staber