Philip James LUSCOMBE

LUSCOMBE, Philip James

Service Number: 219
Enlisted: 6 January 1916, Rockhampton, Queensland
Last Rank: Second Corporal
Last Unit: Australian Army Provost Corps
Born: Mirani, Queensland, 20 May 1894
Home Town: Eton, Mackay, Queensland
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Labourer
Died: Natural causes, Queensland, 29 June 1975, aged 81 years
Cemetery: Not yet discovered
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

6 Jan 1916: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, SN 219, Rockhampton, Queensland
18 May 1916: Embarked AIF WW1, Private, SN 219, 41st Infantry Battalion, HMAT Demosthenes, Sydney
18 May 1916: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 219, 41st Infantry Battalion, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
14 Apr 1917: Wounded AIF WW1, Private, SN 219, 41st Infantry Battalion, German Withdrawal to Hindenburg Line and Outpost Villages, Shell wound (left arm, right buttock and both legs)
11 Aug 1917: Transferred AIF WW1, Private, Australian Army Provost Corps
13 Feb 1920: Discharged AIF WW1, Second Corporal , SN 219, Australian Army Provost Corps

Help us honour Philip James Luscombe's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Paul Trevor


Messrs. E. Fudge, W. Drake,. A. Woods, P. Luscombe, and W. Kinnear are spending a week in Brisbane prior to leaving, to join the Expeditionary Forces at Enoggera.' form Daily Mercury 22 Jan 1916 (


Mrs. J. G. Luscombe, Mt. Vince, via Eton, has received word that her son, Pte. Philip Luscombe, had been wounded in France. Mr Luscombe received a cable from his brother, saying he had seen Philip, and there was no danger.' from Daily Mercury 30 Apr 1917 (


Mr. and Mrs. Luscombe, Mt. Vince, have received a letter from their son, Pte. Phil. Luscombe, in which he describes how he was wounded. He states : — "I suppose you have heard by this time that I was wounded on the 13th of April. My wounds are not dangerous. I was lucky in not getting any in the body or head. I was hit with shrapnel, two pieces in the calf of the right leg, one piece in the muscle of the left arm, one piece in the thigh, and two pieces in the right ankle, so you will see I got the best part of a shell to myself.

I am not in any pain now; it has all gone. It only entered the bone in
one place and that was the ankle, but it is getting on fine. It will be some time before I am able to go back to the front as all the wounds have to be healed before they will let me out of bed. There is no need to worry about me. I shall be alright. I saw Tom a few days before I got hit and he was doing well; he is a corporal now.' from Daily Mercury 14 Jul 1917 (