George HURRY


HURRY, George

Service Number: 6850
Enlisted: 22 February 1915, Melbourne
Last Rank: Lieutenant
Last Unit: 15th Infantry Battalion
Born: Kyneton, Victoria, 6 December 1884
Home Town: Kyneton, Macedon Ranges, Victoria
Schooling: Melbourne Grammar School
Occupation: Bank clerk
Died: Killed in action, Belgium, 18 October 1917, aged 32 years
Cemetery: No known grave - "Known Unto God"
Memorials: Kyneton Honour Roll, MCC Roll of Honour 1914 - 1918 - Melbourne Cricket Club, Melbourne Grammar School WW1 Fallen Honour Roll, Menin Gate Memorial (Commonwealth Memorial to the Missing of the Ypres Salient)
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

22 Feb 1915: Enlisted Australian Army, Driver, SN 6850, Melbourne
28 Jun 1915: Involvement Driver, SN 6850, 1st Australian Reserve Park, Third Ypres
28 Jun 1915: Embarked Driver, SN 6850, 1st Australian Reserve Park, HMAT Berrima, Melbourne
18 Oct 1917: Involvement Lieutenant, 15th Infantry Battalion, Third Ypres

Help us honour George Hurry's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Elizabeth Allen

George HURRY was born on 6th December, 1884 at Kyneton, Victoria

His parents were Henry HURRY & Mary HERRING

Biography contributed by Sharyn Roberts

GEORGE HURRY who was killed in action on 18th October 1917 in France was the younger son of Mr. H. Hurry. He was born in, 1884 and entered the School from Kyneton in 1901. On leaving School in 1902 he went into the service of the Bank of New South Wales, and was there when he enlisted in February 1915.

He sailed for the front in the following June as a Driver in the Army Service Corps. He was training in Egypt for a time and then was selected as a candidate for Officers' School and proceeded to Balliol College, Oxford, reaching England in November 1916. He transferred from the A.S.C. and obtained his commission on 28th March 1917; he joined the 15th Battalion in France on 21st April 1917 and went
through the fighting near Messines.

He was promoted to Lieutenant on 16th September 1917 and took part in the Passchendaele operations in the last of which he was killed. At the time of his death he was in charge of a party detailed to carry wire to the front line, and was killed instantly by shell fire.

His commanding officer wrote : " I feel his death keenly, and his own platoon were much cut up, for they respected and loved him for his quiet, cheerful way under all circumstances. His work in the field has always been consistently good." He was buried at Soda Factory, Zonnebeke.