Donald Kenyon TERRY

TERRY, Donald Kenyon

Service Number: 2003
Enlisted: Not yet discovered
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 28th Infantry Battalion
Born: Ferntree Gully Victoria, Australia, 10 November 1891
Home Town: Margaret River, Augusta-Margaret River Shire, Western Australia
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Farmer
Died: Perth Western Australia, 27 March 1982, aged 90 years, cause of death not yet discovered
Cemetery: Pinnaroo Valley Chapel & Crematorium
Memorials: Guildford St. Matthew's Anglican Church Honour Roll
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

2 Sep 1915: Involvement Private, SN 2003, 28th Infantry Battalion
2 Sep 1915: Embarked Private, SN 2003, 28th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Anchises, Fremantle

Help us honour Donald Kenyon Terry's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.


UNIT NUMBER 2003 Donald Terry arrived into the world in Melbourne in 1891. He was one of four children born to Marmaduke and Cathie and was only three when his mother passed away. Marmaduke was a surveyor, and leaving behind the rest of the Terry family in Melbourne – including renowned architect father, Leonard; Marmaduke took his small family and headed west. Somewhere in the early 1900s the family settled in Perth and it was not long before Donald found he had a new stepmother. Buying a house in Margaret River the family grew by another seven children over the years and the house – a social hub for the community – was noisy and boisterous. Donald grew amongst the hustle and bustle of a busy farming life, working on the family property. When war started he was very keen to enlist. In June 1915, he and his younger brother Ros went to Perth to enlist. They stood in line together and signed their enlistment papers one after the other as their unit numbers are sequential. Together they went through their three month training at Blackboy Hill and together they marched up the gangplank to board the HMAT A68 “Anchises” for Mudros in Alexandria, sailing on September 2 1915.They were now part of the 28th Brigade, 3rd Reinforcements. By October they found themselves to the north of Anzac Cove on “Cheshire Ridge”. The campaign was almost over but they worked manning the trenches, improving defenses and defending the beach head until the evacuation came in December. Christmas 1915 was celebrated on Lemnos and early into the New Year they were in Egypt, but by mid March the men were in France. In April they were around Armentieres and in late July the Battle of Poziers began. On July 29, in fierce night time fighting, Donald suffered a chest injury from mortar shell fragments. He was sent to the Army Hospital in Boulogne for a week and whilst there took leave. Returning 12 hours late he was docked one day’s pay. He remained in Boulogne until mid August and then returned to his unit- who were around Ypres - on August 29. Spending the winter in the trenches, in January 1917 Donald was again sick in hospital in Rouen with mumps. It wasn’t until the end of March that he was returned to his unit which at this time was involved in the Battle of Bullecourt. He was gassed at some time during this time and suffered the effects all of his life. Donald received leave for two weeks in September, which he took in England, telling his step-mother Filumena in a letter that he would try to “look up” an aunt. His return to fighting put him in the middle of the Battle of Passchendale. During 1918 he fought at Villiers-Bretonneux and on the Somme for the spring offensive. At last the war ground to a halt and Donald was returned home in April 1919 on board the “Trasos Mortes”. He arrived back in time to attend the “welcome home dance”. Donald went into a partnership with his brother Norman (ex army) on a property on Trinder Drive where they cut sleepers. They called their house “Le Chateau” because it was anything but. Sadly this partnership did not work out and the men parted ways. During the 1920s Don was chairman of the Board of Roads. He stayed in Margaret River and worked back on the family farm. He never married but signed up again for service in WW2 from 1941-43. A loner and a private person he would often disappear and go prospecting. In later years he lived alone in his property at Kenwick in Perth until his eyesight failed. This forced him to move into the RSL home in Mt Lawley., Donald died in Perth and is buried at Karrakatta. 1914/15 Star British War Medal Victory Medal