William Arthur FRIDAY

Badge Number: S19086, Sub Branch: State

FRIDAY, William Arthur

Service Number: 3317
Enlisted: 16 August 1915, at Adelaide
Last Rank: Bombardier
Last Unit: 24th Field Artillery (Howitzer) Brigade
Born: Port Adelaide, South Australia, Australia, June 1888
Home Town: Port Adelaide, Port Adelaide Enfield, South Australia
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Baker
Died: 27 May 1972, cause of death not yet discovered, place of death not yet discovered
Cemetery: Centennial Park Cemetery, South Australia
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

16 Aug 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, 3317, 10th Infantry Battalion, at Adelaide
27 Oct 1915: Involvement Private, 3317, 10th Infantry Battalion, --- :embarkation_roll: roll_number: '10' embarkation_place: Adelaide embarkation_ship: HMAT Benalla embarkation_ship_number: A24 public_note: ''
27 Oct 1915: Embarked Private, 3317, 10th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Benalla, Adelaide
11 Nov 1918: Involvement AIF WW1, Bombardier, 3317, 24th Field Artillery (Howitzer) Brigade

Help us honour William Arthur Friday's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Saint Ignatius' College

William Arthur Friday was a soldier who fought in the army during WW1. William was born in Port Adelaide, South Australia. This is also the place where he embarked. He described himself as a Methodist. Prior to his enlistment at the age of 27, he worked as a baker. When William departed, he left his wife Mrs. A.M Friday, and children behind. Being married and having children was often emotionally draining for soldiers as they were constantly worried about their families back home. Often married soldiers would go AWL (Absent Without Leave). However, William did not run from the war.

William left Australia on 27 October 1915 and went to Egypt. Here, he was allotted to several units for short periods before, in June 1916, ending up in the 24th Field Artillery Brigade. He served with this unit for about six months before being sent to hospital with bronchitis in December 1916. For the next year and a half he was in and out of hospital in England, spending the rest of his time at training depots. Eventually, in May 1918, he was decalred unfit for service due to chronic bronchitis and returned to Australia. He was discharged fro the AIF on 12 May 1918 and received the 1914/15 Star, the Victory Medal and the British War Medal for his service.