Mervyn Ray TICKNER

TICKNER, Mervyn Ray

Service Number: 204
Enlisted: 24 September 1914
Last Rank: Second Lieutenant
Last Unit: 15th Infantry Battalion
Born: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, 27 July 1894
Home Town: Alexandria, City of Sydney, New South Wales
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Labourer
Died: Belgium, 20 September 1917, aged 23 years, cause of death not yet discovered
Cemetery: No known grave - "Known Unto God"
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

24 Sep 1914: Enlisted AIF WW1, Sergeant, 204, 15th Infantry Battalion
22 Dec 1914: Involvement Sergeant, 204, 17th Infantry Battalion
22 Dec 1914: Embarked Sergeant, 204, 17th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Ceramic, Melbourne
3 Mar 1916: Discharged AIF WW1, Sergeant, 204, 15th Infantry Battalion
3 Apr 1916: Enlisted AIF WW1, Second Lieutenant, Enoggera, Qld.

Help us honour Mervyn Ray Tickner's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Sharyn Roberts

Son of John and Alice TICKNER

Husband of D TICKNER

Distinguished Conduct Medal

'For conspicuous gallantry on the night of the 9th-10th May, 1915, near Gaba Tepe (Dardanelles). During a sortie from Quinn's Post Corporal Tickner, accompanied by another Non-Commissioned Officer, advanced with great coolness and courage past the first line of the enemy's trenches to a tent some distance in the rear. They killed all the occupants and cut the telephone wiresw which connected it with the fire trenches, thus preventing communication from the rear.'
Source: 'London Gazette' No. 8865
Date: 6 September 1915

Mrs. S. Rawcliffe has received a letter from her brother, Sgt. Ray Tickner, who, although he has been badly wounded in one eye, writes in a most cheery fashion, and asks to be remembered to Goulburn friends. The sergeant says: "Here I am again, back about ten days ago from three weeks' solid scrapping. You talk about a good time and luck, why, I am better than a cat, as I must have had about fourteen lives, and yet I got a bit of a bump fair in the forehead—a mere nothing—it is better now; but, worse luck a piece of the nickel coating of the bullet went through the ball of my left eye, and up to the present I cannot see out of it. This morning the doc. seemed very sad over it, and talked about taking the eye out; but I hope he doesn't, as I am ugly enough now. Well, I can't tell you any news, as the censor won't let me. They are sending me to Cairo tomorrow—about 200 of us —to make room for fresh arrivals."

July 1915

In the presence of 10,000 spectators and with a large number of comrades facing them, the District Commandant pinned the  Distinguished Conduct medal on the breasts of three returned
members of the A.I.F. on Friday afternoon on the old review ground, Moore Park. One of the recipients was Corporal Tickner, who was
awarded the medal for conspicuous gallantry on the night of May 9-10 1915, near Gabe Tepe (Dardanelles). During a sortie from Quinn's Post Corporal Tickner, accompanied by another non-commissioned officer, advanced with great coolness and courage past the first line of the enemy's trenches to a tent some distance in
the rear. They killed all the occupants, cut the telephone wires which connected it with the fire trenches, and thus prevented communication from the rear. Each recipient weas heartily cheered as the Commandant shook hands with him, and was accorded a position on the left of the saluting base.

November 1916

Word has been received by Mr. Joseph Stephenson, of Sloane-street; Goulburn that Second-Lieutenant M. R. Tickner has been killed in action in France. The deceased soldier was 24 years of age, and was the fourth son of the late Mr. John Tickner, of Camden, and Mrs.
Tickner, of Sydney. Mrs. Sam Rawcliffe and Mrs. A. Stephenson, formerly of Goulburn, and Mesdames J. Andrews and W. Kirkham, of
Sydney, are sisters: His brothers are Messrs. G. Tickner (Jenolan); H.H. Tickner (on active service), J. Tickner (Penrith) and Constable
Tickner. Mr. Sam Rawcliffe (his brother-in-law) is also on active service. Deceased took part in the landing at Gallipoli, and was awarded the D.C.M. for bravery at Quinn's Post.
Wounded in the eye he was invalided home. He received his discharge and was placed on the recruiting staff. In April of last year he re-enlisted and went to France, where, as stated, he was mortally wounded. At one time he was employed in the Goulburn Railway Department and later at Cooma.

October 1917