Henry Edward (Murray) PETERS

PETERS, Henry Edward

Service Number: 7522
Enlisted: 18 April 1917
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 1st Infantry Battalion
Born: Hamburg, Germany., 29 May 1879
Home Town: Temora, Temora Municipality, New South Wales
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Labourer
Died: Died of Illness, Military Hospital, Tidworth, Wiltshire, England, 17 December 1918, aged 39 years
Cemetery: Tidworth Military Cemetery, England
Row C, Grave No. 353
Memorials: Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

18 Apr 1917: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, 7522, 1st Infantry Battalion
10 May 1917: Involvement Private, 7522, 1st Infantry Battalion, --- :embarkation_roll: roll_number: '7' embarkation_place: Sydney embarkation_ship: HMAT Marathon embarkation_ship_number: A74 public_note: ''
10 May 1917: Embarked Private, 7522, 1st Infantry Battalion, HMAT Marathon, Sydney

Help us honour Henry Edward Peters's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Peter Rankin

He served under the alias of Henry Edward Murray. 

Biography contributed by Geoffrey Gillon

Deaths Dec 1918 Murray Henry E 37 Andover 2c 640

CWGC record his true name as....................


Biography contributed by Geoffrey Gillon

He was 39 and the son of Henning and Johanna Margaretha Peters; husband of Winifred Peters of Lewisham, New South Wales, Australia.

Born-29. Mai 1879 (29 May 1879) Hamburg, Hamburg, Deutschland (Germany)

Biography contributed by Evan Evans

The summary below was completed by Cathy Sedgwick – Facebook “WW1 Australian War Graves in England/UK/Scotland/Ireland 

Died on this date – 16th December…… Heinrich Johannes Friedrich Peters was born on 29th May, 1879 in Hamburg, Deutschland (Germany).

Henning and Johanna Margaretha Peters & family arrived in New South Wales, Australia on Ship Erlangen in 1890.

According to information by Parliament of New South Wales:
Henry Peters was educated at Temora; left school at a young age; worked as a compositor on the Temora Star and Temora Independent; owned and edited Grenfell Vedette from 1904 - 1906 which failed. He became a Justice of Peace in 1908 & was a member of the Australian Labour Party (ALP), member of central executive from 1909-1910. He became a bankrupt in 1914; acted as secretary to J.C Watson, G.A Burgess and W.A Holman; with his brother owned a mine in the Gundagai district.

[Note: The Parliament of New South Wales has recorded that Mr Henry John Frederick Peters (Heinrich Johannes Friedrich Peters) was born on 1st January, 1881 at Wagga Wagga, New South Wales]
Henry J. F. Peters married Winifred Wallis on 3rd May, 1905 in the Methodist Church, Temora, NSW.

Births were registered for the following children: Sylvia Winifred Peters in 1906 in the district of Temora, NSW (born 14 March, 1906); William Edward Murray Peters in 1911 in the district of Chatswood, NSW (born 30th August, 1911) & Roy Henry Milton Peters in 1914 in the district of Chatswood, NSW (born 28th August, 1914).

From the New South Wales Police Gazette – 30 August, 1916:
Temora – A warrant has been issued by the Temora Bench for the arrest of Henry John Frederick Peters, charged with disobeying a magisterial order for the support of his wife (£20 due). He is about 37 years of age, 6 feet, fair complexion and hair, long features; an ex M.L.A.

Henry Peters enlisted in the Australian Imperial Force (A.I.F.) on 18th April, 1917 under the name of “Henry Edward Murray. He stated he was born at Wagga, New South Wales & was a 36 year old, single, Labourer from Ourimbah, NSW. He had tried to enlist on 16th August, 1916 but was rejected on the grounds of unfitness due to deficient eyesight.

Private Henry Edward Murray, Service number 7522, embarked from Sydney, NSW on HMAT Marathon (A74) on 10th May, 1917 with the 1st Infantry Battalion, 25th Reinforcements & disembarked at Devonport, England on 20th July, 1917.

He was marched in to 1st Training Battalion at Durrington, Wiltshire, England from Australia on 20th July, 1917.

On 18th November, 1917 Private Murray was marched in to 1st Training Battalion at Sutton Veny, Wiltshire from Isolation Hospital.

Private Murray proceeded overseas to France via Southampton, England on 21st December, 1917 from No. 4 Camp, Sutton Veny, Wiltshire. He was posted to 1st A.D.B.D. (Australian Divisional Base Depot) at Havre, France on 5th December, 1917. He proceeded from 1st A.D.B.D. on 7th December, 1917 to join his Unit & was taken on strength of 1st Battalion on 10th December, 1917 from Reinforcements.

Private Henry Edward Murray was wounded in action on 17th April, 1918. He was admitted to 1st Australian Field Ambulance on 17th April, 1918 with a wound to hand then transferred to 15th Casualty Clearing Station. Private Murray was transferred to Ambulance Train 38 on 17th April, 1918 with G.S.W. (gunshot wound/s) to Left Hand. He was admitted to 1st Canadian General Hospital at Etaples, France on 18th April, 1918. Private Murray embarked for England on 21st April, 1918 on Hospital Ship Ville de Leige.

He was admitted to Kitchener Military Hospital, Brighton, England on 21st April, 1918 with shrapnel wound(/s) to left hand – slight. He was transferred to 1st Auxiliary Hospital on 24th April, 1918. Private Murray was discharged to furlo from 21st May, 1918 until 4th June, 1918 & was then to report to No. 1 Command Depot at Sutton Veny.

On 5th June, 1918 Private Murray was marched in to No. 1 Command Depot at Sutton Veny, Wiltshire & was medically classified as B1 A2 (fit for overseas training camp in 3 – 4 weeks).

Private Murray was sent sick then admitted to 1st Australian Dermatological Hospital at Bulford, Wiltshire on 10th July, 1918 – cause N.Y.D. (not yet determined). He was discharged to Convalescent Training Depot at Parkhouse, Wiltshire on 12th July, 1918. Total V.D. period – 3 days.

He was sent sick to Delhi Military Hospital, Wiltshire on 7th August, 1918 from Convalescent Training Depot & was transferred to Military Hospital, Tidworth, Wiltshire on the same day.

A Court of Enquiry was held on 8th August, 1918 at Parkhouse enquiring into the injuries received by Private Henry Edward Murray – having been admitted to Hospital with a broken leg. FINDING: The Court find that the Accident occurred owing to “Error of Judgement” on the part of No 14899 Dvr R.L. Foster who was driving a waggon which collided with handcart that Private Murray was holding. Private H. E. Murray was not to blame for the accident.

On 15th December, 1918 Private Murray was reported to be dangerously ill at Military Hospital, Tidworth, Wiltshire.

Private Henry Edward Murray died at 20.50 hrs on 16th December, 1918 at Military Hospital, Tidworth, Wiltshire, England. A Post Mortem was held & the cause of death was Acute Atrophy Liver.

He was buried in Tidworth Military Cemetery, Wiltshire, England where 172 other WW1 Australian War Graves are located.

(The above is a summary of my research. The full research can be found by following the link below)