Arthur Sydney TALBOT


TALBOT, Arthur Sydney

Service Number: 1551
Enlisted: 12 October 1914, Sydney, New South Wales
Last Rank: Lieutenant
Last Unit: Royal Flying Corps
Born: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, 23 December 1889
Home Town: Newton, Campbelltown, South Australia
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Motor driver
Died: Flying Accident, Rochford Aerodrome, Essex, England , 27 September 1917, aged 27 years
Cemetery: St Andrew Churchyard, Rochford, Essex, England
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

12 Oct 1914: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, SN 1551, Sydney, New South Wales
22 Dec 1914: Involvement AIF WW1, Corporal, SN 1551, 301st Company Mechancial Transport, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
22 Dec 1914: Embarked AIF WW1, Corporal, SN 1551, 301st Company Mechancial Transport, HMAT Ceramic, Melbourne
16 Aug 1916: Transferred Second Lieutenant, Royal Flying Corps
27 Sep 1917: Involvement Lieutenant, Royal Flying Corps

Help us honour Arthur Sydney Talbot's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Geoffrey Gillon

Died whilst flying with 48th Squadron Royal Flying Corps.

Son of the late Herbert Talbot, of Wanganui, New Zealand.


Biography contributed by Evan Evans

The summary below was completed by Cathy Sedgwick – Facebook “WW1 Australian War Graves in England/UK

Died on this date - 27th September..... Lieutenant Arthur Sydney Talbot was born in Sydney, NSW in 1889. He enlisted in the Australian Naval Force on 9th July, 1908.

Stoker Arthur Sydney Talbot was listed in the New South Wales Police Gazette for 15th February, 1911 as a Deserter from His Majesty’s Service – HMS “Pioneer” at Auckland, NZ.

The 1911 England Census recorded Arthur Sydney Talbot, aged 21, as a Stoker 1st Class (Engine Room), Royal Navy - H.M.S. Penguin & which was located in South Africa at the time of the Census.

Arthur Sydney Talbot enlisted with the Australian Imperial Force (A.I.F.) on 12th October, 1914 as a 24 year old, single, Motor Driver. He embarked from Melbourne, Victoria on 22nd December, 1914 with 301st (M.T. Mechanical Transport) A.S.C. (17th Divisional Ammunition Park) of the Australian Imperial Force (A.I.F.).

Driver Arthur Sydney Talbot embarked on Hospital Ship Anglia on 24th September, 1915 for England due to defective eyesight.

Sergeant Arthur Sydney Talbot was discharged from Australian Imperial Force in England on 16th August, 1916 to take up a Commission in the Royal Flying Corps. He had served 1 year & 310 days with the Australian Imperial Force.

2nd Lieutenant Arthur Sydney Talbot was transferred to Oxford Flying School on 17th August, 1916. He was to report to Royal Flying Corps, Christchurch College, Oxford for a course of preliminary instruction in aviation.

2nd Lieutenant Arthur Sydney Talbot gained his Royal Aero Club Aviator’s Certificate No. 3812 on 12th November, 1916.

2nd Lieutenant A. S. Talbot, of No. 28 Reserve Squadron, R.F.C., was flying a Sopwith No. 7801 on 18th January, 1917 when he was involved in a flying accident. The engine seized up at low height & he was forced to land in marsh & machine turned over. The accident was caused due to Engine failure. 2nd Lieutenant A. S. Talbot was wounded.

2nd Lieutenant A. S. Talbot, No. 40 Squadron, was involved in an incident on 25th March, 1917 in a Nieuport Scout No. A6779 when the place failed to clear telegraph wires on takeoff from flight at Sains en Gohelle.

2nd Lieutenant A. S. Talbot, No. 40 Squadron, was injured on 30th March, 1917 when in a Nieuport Scout No. A6786 the plane stalled in crosswind on takeoff for line patrol.

2nd Lieutenant A. S. Talbot was admitted to St. John’s Hospital, Etaples, France on 5th April, 1917 with an injury to his head (slight). He embarked from Calais, France on Hospital Ship Newhaven on 10th April, 1917. He was admitted to Hospital in England on 11th April, 1917 with wounds to face & scalp.
2nd Lieutenant A. S. Talbot was promoted to Lieutenant on 1st September, 1917.

Lieutenant Arthur Sydney Talbot & Second Lieutenant G. C. Malcolm, of 198 Depot Squadron, were flying an Avro 504J B3111 on 27th September, 1917 from Rochford Aerodrome, Essex, England. Lieutenant Malcolm was under instruction with Lieutenant Talbot the pilot & instructor.

Lieutenant Arthur Sydney Talbot died at 8.20 am on 27th September, 1917 at Rochford Aerodrome, Essex, England due to an aerial collision. Lieutenant Malcolm also died in the collision. The pilot of the other aeroplane - 2/Lt. J. F. Dick survived the crash with a broken thigh.

A Court of Inquiry was held – The Court having considered the evidence is of opinion that the accident was due either to an error of judgement on part of Lt. Talbot or by interference with controls by Lt. Malcolm & that no blame can be attached to 2/Lt. J. F. Dick.

Both Lieutenant Arthur Sydney Talbot & Second Lieutenant Geoffrey Cooper Malcolm were both buried in St. Andrew’s Churchyard, Rochford, Essex, England.

(The above is a summary of my research. The full research can be found by following the link below)