Arthur James LENNON

LENNON, Arthur James

Service Number: 1936
Enlisted: 2 March 1916, Cootamundra, NSW
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 56th Infantry Battalion
Born: Galong, NSW, 1895
Home Town: Young, Young, New South Wales
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Labourer
Died: Illness (Tuberculosis), Woodville Red Cross Home, Randwick, NSW, 21 May 1920
Cemetery: Young (St Mary's) Cemetery, New South Wales
Memorials: Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour, New South Wales Garden of Remembrance (Rookwood Necropolis), Temora WW1 War Memorial
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

2 Mar 1916: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, 1936, 56th Infantry Battalion, Cootamundra, NSW
23 Jun 1916: Involvement Private, 1936, 56th Infantry Battalion
23 Jun 1916: Embarked Private, 1936, 56th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Barambah, Sydney

Help us honour Arthur James Lennon's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Faithe Jones

Son of Mrs Emily Wilbers, Milvale via Young, New South Wales

LENNON.—In loving remembrance of our dearly beloved son and brother, Private Arthur James Lennon, who died suddenly at Woodville Red Cross  Home, Randwick after a year and 9 months intense suffering on 21st May, 1920, in his 24th year.
We saw him suffering day by day
It caused us bitter grief.
To see him slowly pine away.
And could not give relief.
Not dead to us who loved him dear
Not lost but gone before,
He lives with us in memory still
And will for evermore.
—Inserted by his loving mother and sisters, Mrs. Wilbers, Milvale and Ruby Freeman and Queenie Murphy Barellan.

Arthur James Lennon, the only son of Mrs. Wilbers, of Millvale, died in Randwick Hospital on Saturday last from tuberculosis, contracted on active  service abroad. The young man enlisted in the 56th Battalion, A.I.F., and served for two years abroad. With a constitution thoroughly undermined, he  contracted tuberculosis and was invalided to Australia. Despite all that could be done at the sanitorium at Wentworth Falls, he slowly failed, and was  taken to Randwick in a very weak condition. He had been about a year home when he died. The remains were brought to Young by a special funeral car this morning for interment in the Young cemetery. The funeral took place with full military honors this afternoon, after Rev. S. A. T. Champion had conducted an impressive service in St. John's Church of England. An armed guard of returned soldiers marched with reversed rifles at the head of the  funeral, and also fired three volleys over the grave, and the trumpeters sounded the "Last Post." The firing party were Sergt. Major McKillop, Cpl.  Smith, Pte Ryan, Gnr. Cowan, Cpl. Western, Pte. Hammond Cpl. Perry, Pte. Cartwright, Pe. Curley, Pte. Forbes and Lance-Cpl. Spencer. The trumpeters  were Sgt. Pritchard and Sgt. Cox.