Charles Curtis DEDMAN MM

DEDMAN, Charles Curtis

Service Number: 3105
Enlisted: 8 July 1915, Melbourne, Victoria
Last Rank: Sergeant
Last Unit: 5th Infantry Battalion
Born: North Fitzroy, Victoria, Australia , June 1888
Home Town: Fitzroy, Yarra, Victoria
Schooling: East Brunswick State School
Occupation: Printer
Died: War related Illness (heart failure), Caulfield, Victoria, Australia, 9 September 2019
Cemetery: Coburg Pine Ridge Cemetery, Victoria, Australia
Coburg General Cemetery, Coburg, Victoria, Australia
Memorials: Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

8 Jul 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, 3105, Melbourne, Victoria
29 Sep 1915: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, 3105, 5th Infantry Battalion, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
29 Sep 1915: Embarked AIF WW1, Private, 3105, 5th Infantry Battalion, RMS Osterley, Melbourne
23 Aug 1918: Wounded Sergeant, 3105, 5th Infantry Battalion, "The Last Hundred Days", GSW (thigh)
9 Sep 1919: Involvement AIF WW1, Sergeant, 3105, 5th Infantry Battalion

Help us honour Charles Curtis Dedman's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by John Edwards

"...Charles Curtis Dedman, a 27 year old printer from North Fitzroy in Melbourne, who enlisted in the AIF on 8 July 1915. He sailed as a private with 5 Battalion and after a period of training in Egypt joined the fighting on the Western Front. He was promoted lance corporal in November 1916 and temporary corporal in May 1918. In July of that year he was involved in a reconnaissance patrol between the towns of Merris and Meteren, opposite a place called le Waton. One of four men who ventured into non man’s land, Dedman discovered a previously unreported listening post. The patrol surprised the two Germans in the post and Dedman killed them when their cries alerted the enemy to the Australian’s presence. The party made it back to their trenches under heavy fire and Dedman later returned to retrieve further identification. These actions resulted in the award of the Military Medal. On 15 August Dedman was confirmed in the rank of corporal and promoted three days later to sergeant. On the 23 August he was wounded in action with a gun shot wound to the thigh. He was transferred to hospital in England and embarked for return to Australia aboard the Kanowna on 5 January 1919. He reached Australia in March and was admitted to No. 11 Australian General Hospital in Caulfield Melbourne. He died there from a haemorrhage and heart failure on 9 September." - SOURCE (