Kenneth Nugent STEELE

STEELE, Kenneth Nugent

Service Numbers: Not yet discovered
Enlisted: Not yet discovered
Last Rank: Captain
Last Unit: 1st Australian General Hospital
Born: Adelaide, South Australia, 17 December 1889
Home Town: Not yet discovered
Schooling: Prince Alfred College and University of Adelaide, South Australia
Occupation: Medical Practitioner
Died: Glenelg South Australia, 19 December 1956, aged 67 years, cause of death not yet discovered
Cemetery: Mitcham Anglican Cemetery, South Australia
Memorials: Adelaide Royal Adelaide Hospital WW1 Roll of Honour, Adelaide University of Adelaide WW1 Honour Roll, Henley Beach Roll of Honor
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

17 Jun 1915: Involvement Captain, 1st Australian General Hospital
17 Jun 1915: Embarked Captain, 1st Australian General Hospital, HMAT Wandilla, Melbourne

Help us honour Kenneth Nugent Steele's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Annette Summers

STEELE, Kenneth Nugent MB BS


Kenneth Nugent Steele was born in Adelaide South Australia, on the 17th December 1889 son of Robert Moore Steele and his wife Theresa, nee O’Leary. His brothers were David Macdonald Steele and Donald Macdonald Steele. He was educated at Prince Alfred College and studied medicine at the University of Adelaide graduating in 1914. He then completed his residency at the Adelaide Hospital.

He enlisted in the AIF and was commissioned 19th May 1915. He was 5ft 9ins, and weighed 10st 10lbs. He had served as a lieutenant in the Cadet Corps whilst at school. His father was named as his next of kin. This later changed to his wife care of the Commonwealth Bank, London. He was sent to Egypt with reinforcements for 1 AGH. He embarked on the Georgian as SMO in August 1915 which was detailed to evacuate casualties from Gallipoli to Malta. Steele reported the very poor conditions suffered on this voyage when he arrived in Malta and the Georgian was withdrawn from service. On his return to Mudros in late September he was detached to the British 29 (Lowland) CCS which had set up a convalescent depot for 1000 cases. Steele was posted to 3 AGH in November and remained on the strength of this unit for the next year, leaving it only as it was about to deploy to Abbeville from Brighton in March 1917. Whilst in England on 6th April 1917 Steele married Norah Elizabeth Taylor at St Peter’s Church in Brighton. At that time he was posted to 3 AAH at Dartford, where he remained for another 12 months. He was promoted to major in June 1917.  He was sent to France to join 8 FdAmb 5 Div in March 1918, then at Corbie, close to the confluence of the Rivers Somme and Ancre. A month later, and the day after the Australian success at Villers-Bretonneux, he was detached to 56 Bn (14 Bde). Within a few days he was gassed, and evacuated to 8 GH at Rouen, and from there to 3 LGH. He spent three months in hospital before being invalided back to Australia in July. Back home he was admitted to 4 AGH at Randwick, and then 5 AGH at St Kilda, and finally discharged in November 1918. He was issued with the 1914-15 Star, The British War Medal and the Victory Medal

Steele returned to his practice at Glenelg, in spite of his injury. In 1947 he was still living in Moseley Street, Glenelg and had his car drugs and instruments stolen.  Kenneth Nugent Steele died in Glenelg on 19th December 1956. He and his wife Norah are buried together in the Mitcham Church of England Cemetery.


Blood, Sweat and Fears: Medical Practitioners and Medical Students of South Australia, who Served in World War 1. 

Verco, Summers, Swain, Jelly. Open Books Howden, Adelaide 2014. 

Uploaded by Annette Summers AO RFD