Clifford Le Brun BROWN MC

BROWN, Clifford Le Brun

Service Numbers: 996, 996A, 263262
Enlisted: 30 June 1915, Brisbane, New South Wales
Last Rank: Flight Lieutenant
Last Unit: Australian Flying Corps (AFC)
Born: Patterson, New South Wales, Australia, 14 September 1892
Home Town: Inverell, Inverell, New South Wales
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Station overseer
Died: Chatswood, , 15 November 1972, aged 80 years, cause of death not yet discovered
Cemetery: Northern Suburbs Memorial Gardens and Crematorium, NSW
East Terrace 3, Wall 4
Memorials: Inverell & District Memorial Olympic Pool WW1 Honour Roll
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

30 Jun 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, SN 996, 11th Light Horse Regiment, Brisbane, New South Wales
17 Sep 1915: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 996A, 11th Light Horse Regiment, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
17 Sep 1915: Embarked AIF WW1, Private, SN 996A, 11th Light Horse Regiment, HMAT Hymettus, Brisbane

World War 2 Service

1 Jan 1917: Honoured Military Cross, AWM 28 2/116 For outstanding gallantry and devotion to duty on numerous occasions his work as a pilot during bombing attack and photographic reconnaissance has been invaluable

World War 1 Service

30 Nov 1918: Discharged Lieutenant, Australian Flying Corps (AFC)

World War 2 Service

6 Oct 1944: Discharged Royal Australian Air Force, Flight Lieutenant, SN 263262, 1 RAD INST MU

Help us honour Clifford Le Brun Brown's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.



Biography contributed by Scott Jones

Lieutenant Clifford Le Brun Brown MC, of the Australian Flying Corps.
A station overseer from Inverell, NSW prior to enlistment, Lt Brown embarked for oversees duty with the rank of Private with the 4th Reinforcements, 11th Light Horse Squadron from Brisbane on HMAT Hymettus on 7 September 1915.
Whilst serving in the Middle East he was wounded in action. Following his recovery he transferred to No 68 Australian Squadron, Royal Flying Corps. After qualifying as an aerial gunner he was promoted to Second Lieutenant and transferred to the 67th Australian Squadron.
Later qualifying as a pilot he was promoted to Lieutenant and awarded the Military Cross, the citation for which reads "For outstanding gallantry and devotion to duty on numerous occasions his work as a pilot during bombing attacks and photographic reconnaissance has been invaluable".
After surviving three crashes, all due to engine failure, he was emotionally and physically exhausted and returned to Australia for rest on 26 April 1918.
Following his discharge, he qualified as a mechanical engineer specialising in diesel engines and continued flying a number of different aircraft after receiving his commercial pilot's licence (No 284) in 1931. During this period he spent extensive time in Papua New Guinea and New Caledonia.
Following the outbreak of the Second World War he joined the RAAF with the service number 263262 and the rank of Flight Lieutenant and served as chief instructor to operate diesel electric units for radar. Later he took charge of Australian fitters and turners in American workshops in Papua.
On 6 October 1944 he was discharged at his own request and resumed his civilian occupation, serving with the US Navy Small Ships Company, which included time on the southwest cable repair ship William Glassford and the tanker USS Hiwassee.


This photo originally hung in the Hotel Australia, Sydney and is now displayed in the Australian War Memorial.
He married (Susi)  in New Caledonia and was the first person to fly from New Caledonia to Australia (not verified) and settled in Sydney.