John Patrick DUFFY


DUFFY, John Patrick

Service Number: 725
Enlisted: 27 August 1914, at Morphettville
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 10th Infantry Battalion
Born: Port Pirie, South Australia, Australia, February 1894
Home Town: Port Pirie, Port Pirie City and Dists, South Australia
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Barman
Died: Killed In Action, France, 13 December 1916
Cemetery: No known grave - "Known Unto God"
Villers-Bretonneux Memorial, Villers-Bretonneux, Picardie, France
Memorials: Adelaide National War Memorial, Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour, Port Pirie Oval WW1 Memorial Gates, Villers-Bretonneux Memorial (Australian National Memorial - France)
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

27 Aug 1914: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, SN 725, 10th Infantry Battalion, at Morphettville
20 Oct 1914: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 725, 10th Infantry Battalion
20 Oct 1914: Embarked AIF WW1, Private, SN 725, 10th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Ascanius, Adelaide
2 Apr 1916: Transferred AIF WW1, Private, 50th Infantry Battalion
11 Aug 1916: Transferred AIF WW1, Private, 10th Infantry Battalion

Help us honour John Patrick Duffy's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Glenunga International High School

John Patrick Duffy was 20 years of age when he enlisted and embarked in WWI in 1914, and was killed two years later at the age of 22 in 1916. Although his exact birthday is unknown, he was most likely born in February 1894.

He was killed at Flers by a German shell, either whil in a trench or in an outpost (accounts differ). His body could not be recovered.

This appeared in the Daily Herald on 1 February 1917,


When war began John Patrick Duffy went into camp in Port Pirie, and after three weeks' training enlisted, and joined the 10th Battalion, sailing with the first contingent. About half way to Egypt the boat be sailed in (the Ascanius) and the Shropshire collided, and the men all remained in their life belts the greater part of the night, as there was a hole torn in the boat 17 feet long, and there was danger of her sinking. He had an attack of measles, but landed safely in Egypt, and afterward had an encounter with the Turks. he had an attack of enteric fever. He was in the hospital for a long time, and when he had recovered he rejoined his own battalion at Lemnos Island, and followed on till the landing on Gallipoli. He landed with the famous 10th Battalion at 4 o'clock in the morning, but did not last long. He was wounded in. the knee at 11 o'clock the same day, and from then up till he left for France, some six months ago, he was in various hospitals and with squadrons in Egypt. He had been in France some months, and with the last letter he wrote he stated that he was again in the hospital with trench feet, but hoped to be out very soon. His parents did not receive this letter till after they got the message of their sad loss, which occurred on December 15. The deceased, who was well known in the football field, was well liked, and was the third son of Mr. John Duffy, of Port Pirie West. When he enlisted be was a member of the Liquor Trade Union, and was employed by Mr. J. D. Sampsons, of Crystal Brook. born at Port Pirie, and was 22 years of age." SOURCE (