Service Number: 2225
Enlisted: 2 June 1915, Keswick, South Australia
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 27th Infantry Battalion
Born: Cherry Gardens, South Australia, July 1887
Home Town: Cherry Gardens, Onkaparinga, South Australia
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Gardener
Died: Killed in Action, France, 11 June 1918
Cemetery: No known grave - "Known Unto God"
No known grave
Memorials: Adelaide National War Memorial, Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour, Cherry Gardens Uniting Church WW1 Memorial Stained Glass Window, Cherry Gardens WW1 Memorial, Cherry Gardens WW1 Roll of Honour, Villers-Bretonneux Memorial (Australian National Memorial - France)
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

2 Jun 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, SN 2225, Keswick, South Australia
21 Sep 1915: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 2225, 27th Infantry Battalion, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
21 Sep 1915: Embarked AIF WW1, Private, SN 2225, 27th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Star of England, Adelaide
11 Jun 1918: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 2225, 27th Infantry Battalion, Merris (France)

Help us honour Jesse Strange's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Faithe Jones

Jesse Strange enlisted for the Australian Imperial Forces (AIF) on the 2nd June 1915 at the Keswick barracks. His Regimental number was 2225 and he joined the 27th Battalion for the term of the war.
His parents were Henry and Charlotte Strange from Cherry Gardens. Jesse was nearly 28 years old when he enlisted and was a fair-haired, blue-eyed young man whose occupation was a gardener. He was just under 5ft 8ins tall and weighed 165lbs.  91 On his medical history it was noted that Jesse “had the minimum number of teeth for proper mastication” so evidently he must have lost a few teeth along the way. Jesse embarked for the war on 21st September 1915 and was taken on strength on 12th January 1916 at Tel El Kabir. He remained in North Africa until March 1916 when he was sent to France, to Marseilles and spent the rest of his time on the front line. His battalion fought throughout France and Belgium around cities such as Calais, Boulogne, Tronville and Havre. Jesse was wounded in the arm in August 1916 and spent some time in England recuperating before returning to his battalion and the front line. Jesse also succumbed to several serious bouts of illness including the
mumps and influenza requiring hospitalization. Jesse prepared his last will and testament on May 31st 1917 naming his mother as sole benefactor. In early June 1918 the weather in France was fine every day and Jesse’s Battalion was located in a sector of the front line between Morlancourt and Sailly-Le-Sec. On June 3rd they were able to bath in the River Ancre prior to being sent to a new sector of the front line to relieve the 20th Battalion. They left the Franvilliers area in early evening and were established in the new trenches by 1.30am on June 6th. Over the next few days and nights the 27th Battalion remained at the front line reconnoitering in no-man’s-land and putting up with the shelling from the enemy. On the 8th there were some gas shells sent by the enemy and gas masks had to be worn. On June 10th the Battalion received secret orders regarding an imminent attack on the German lines. All along the line in this sector they were to push forward and improve on their positions along the front line. At 8.35pm on the 10th the enemy launched a very intense shelling at the rear of the front line but there were no serious casualties. The 27th then attacked the enemy line and by 10.44pm the new lines were marked with red flares signifying consolidation of the new positions. The enemy were however very hostile according to the Battalion diary with sniping, artillery fire and Minenwerfer fire. During this battle there were 5 men killed and 13 wounded. Jesse was one of those killed in action in this battle on 11th June 1918 just over 3 years after enlisting. His only personal effects were a “Sheppo” watch and strap, 2 handkerchiefs, 2 collars, 1 tie, a pocket knife and “damaged” torch and these were returned to his parents. These personal effects must have been left in the trench prior to the battle as following the battle that Jesse was killed in, his body was never recovered, or he was buried where he fell and no grave marker was found later. His Battalion remained in this sector until June 15th when they were relieved and rested in the Bois-De-Mai Wood before their next deployment.