Clifford Roy MARR


MARR, Clifford Roy

Service Number: 1000
Enlisted: 2 June 1915
Last Rank: Gunner
Last Unit: 11th Field Artillery Brigade
Born: Hobart, Tasmania, Australia, 18 April 1898
Home Town: Hobart, Tasmania
Schooling: Trinity Hill School Hobart, Tasmania
Occupation: Farmer
Died: Killed in action, France, 6 July 1918, aged 20 years
Cemetery: Querrieu British Cemetery
Row C, Grave No. 41
Memorials: Adelaide National War Memorial, Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour, Yorketown and District of Melville Roll of Honour
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

2 Jun 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, SN 1000, 11th Light Horse Regiment
21 Sep 1915: Involvement Private, SN 1000, 11th Light Horse Regiment
21 Sep 1915: Embarked Private, SN 1000, 11th Light Horse Regiment, HMAT Star of England, Adelaide
1 Apr 1916: Transferred AIF WW1, Gunner, 11th Field Artillery Brigade
6 Jul 1918: Involvement Gunner, SN 1000

Help us honour Clifford Roy Marr's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Stephen Brooks

Clifford Roy Marr joined the AIF in Yorketown, South Australia where he and his older brother Jack had a fruit shop. He had been born and raised in Hobart Tasmania. When Cliff joined the Army on the 2 June 1915, he was only 17 years and 2 months of age as he had been born in April of 1898. He was a farm assistant at the time, next of kin was his mother Mrs. Susan Marr at Yorketown. He had been in the senior cadets for 1 year in Hobart in the 93rd Battalion.

On the 6 July 1918 he was killed in action when a piece of shell hit him when he was serving ammunition to his gun.

His brother ‘Jack’ 5029 Private John Thomas Henry Marr 27th Battalion had also been killed in action at Flers on the 5 November 1916, age 26.

A witness to Cliff’s death was 1697 Sergeant Hubert Hartshorn, "Marr was one of my gunners. He came, I think, from Tasmania, but enlisted in S. Australia. I saw him killed one afternoon in early July by shell fire at Vaux whilst serving the guns. He was stuck by a chance shell in the chest and was rendered quite unconscious, passing away about 1 minute later. His body was taken down to the wagon lines where I assisted to bury him in the cemetery the following day. Padre Stephenson, belonging to I think the 10th. Bgde, and with his unit when I left it on the night of October 1st conducted the service. Marr was not more than 19 years of age. I had known him for 3 years and can truthfully say that he was one of the best boys I ever had charge of. I felt his loss most keenly."