Reginald Baden CROWLEY


CROWLEY, Reginald Baden

Service Numbers: 2626, 2626A
Enlisted: 22 May 1916, Sydney, New South Wales
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 34th Infantry Battalion
Born: Wyalong, New South Wales, 26 March 1900
Home Town: West Wyalong, Bland, New South Wales
Schooling: West Wyalong Public School & Randwick Public School
Occupation: Engineering Student
Died: Killed in Action, Villers-Bretonneux, France, 4 April 1918, aged 18 years
Cemetery: No known grave - "Known Unto God"
No known grave
Memorials: Australian War Memorial, Roll of Honour, Villers-Bretonneux Memorial (Australian National Memorial - France), West Wyalong St Mary's Catholic Parish WW1 Memorial
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

22 May 1916: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, SN 2626, 56th Infantry Battalion, Sydney, New South Wales
7 Oct 1916: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 2626, 56th Infantry Battalion, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
7 Oct 1916: Embarked AIF WW1, Private, SN 2626, 56th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Ceramic, Sydney
4 Apr 1918: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 2626A, 34th Infantry Battalion, Villers-Bretonneux

Help us honour Reginald Baden Crowley's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.


Reginald Baden CROWLEY was born on 26th March, 1900 in Wyalong, NSW. His parents were John Nicholas CROWLEY and Elizabeth ROBERTS.

He enlisted with the 56th Battalion, embarking from Sydney on HMAT Ceramic in October 1916

He was Killed in Action  5th April, 1918 (No known grave - he is commemorated in Australian National Memorial, Villers Bretonneux, France)

His father 2917 Pte. John Nicholas CROWLEY (/explore/people/76537) was Killed in Action in Belgium on 12 Oct 1917

"2626 (later 2626A) Private Reginald Baden Crowley, 56th Battalion (later 34th Battalion), of West Wyalong, NSW... Pte Crowley was the son of a local newspaper editor, 2917 Pte John Nichols Crowley. Reginald Crowley was a student before enlisting on 22 May 1916. He embarked from Sydney on HMAT Ceramic on 7 October 1916 with the 6th Reinforcements, 56th Battalion, and was transferred to the 34th Battalion, his father's battalion, on 13 April 1917. He was killed in action on 4 April 1918, being shot with a revolver at close range by a German officer while attacking at Hangard Wood, near Villiers-Bretonneux. At the time of his death he was 18 years old, having over-stated his age on enlistment.