George Alexander Lewis MASTERS

Poppy

MASTERS, George Alexander Lewis

Service Number: 234
Enlisted: 4 September 1914, Brisbane
Last Rank: Trooper
Last Unit: 2nd Light Horse Regiment
Born: Dartford, Kent, England, 12 August 1875
Home Town: Brisbane, Brisbane, Queensland
Schooling: Mathematical School, Rochester, Kent, England.
Occupation: Traveller by trade, also a tailor.
Died: Killed in action, Gallipoli, 5 July 1915, aged 39 years
Cemetery: Shrapnel Valley Cemetery, Gallipoli
Plot III. Row F. Grave 32. INSCRIPTION HE DIED FOR HIS COUNTRY FOR A CAUSE DOING HIS DUTY IN MEMORY FROM WIFE & BOYS
Tree Plaque: Not yet discovered
Memorials: Australian War Memorial, Roll of Honour
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

4 Sep 1914: Enlisted Australian Army, SN 234, 2nd Light Horse Regiment, Brisbane
24 Sep 1914: Involvement Private, SN 234, 2nd Light Horse Regiment, 'ANZAC' / Gallipoli
24 Sep 1914: Embarked Private, SN 234, 2nd Light Horse Regiment, HMAT Star of England, Brisbane
5 Jul 1915: Involvement Trooper, SN 234, 2nd Light Horse Regiment, 'ANZAC' / Gallipoli

Help us honour George Alexander Lewis Masters's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Geoffrey Gillon

He was 39 and the son of Thomas and Eliza Masters; husband of Mrs. Sarah Elizabeth Masters, of 154, Eastgate, High St., Rochester, England. Emigrated aged 35 years.

Previously served with Royal East Kent Yeomanry (City Imperial Volunteers - South African War).

He is remembered on the Sir Joseph Williamson's Mathematical school war memorial-the school is a boys' grammar school set up in Rochester, Kent. The 17th-century politician Sir Joseph Williamson left £5,000 to set up the school and another in Thetford, Norfolk. The school was originally in Rochester High Street, spanning the city wall. In the 1950s an annexe was built at the Priestfields site for first, second and third forms. In autumn 1968, the whole school moved to the Maidstone Road site. The school is known as the Math or Rochester Math. Former pupils are known as Old Williamsonians. The memorial takes the form of a large nowy* headed board, gilded, with central relief depicting Britannia standing over a kneeling knight with lance and shield, flanked by World War 1 names (79 names) in four columns.

The School crest and motto can be seen below the central relief panel.

The school motto "sub umbra alarum tuarum" - beneath the shadow of thy wing.

The original dedication was held on 30th June 1923 performed by Dr Donald Tait, the rededication took place on 29th March 1950 performed by the Lord Bishop of Rochester and was unveiled by Lord Tedder.

[*‘Nowy’ is an Heraldic term meaning a partition line or charge in which one or more curves interrupt a normally straight line or lines,usually halfway along their length]

 

Read more...