Andrew Charles DILLON


DILLON, Andrew Charles

Service Numbers: 14061, V145880
Enlisted: 5 January 1916
Last Rank: Sapper
Last Unit: Field Company Engineers
Born: Malvern, Victoria, Australia, 15 February 1888
Home Town: Windsor, Stonnington, Victoria
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Carpenter
Died: Accident, 115th Australian General Hospital (Heidelberg), Melbourne, Australia, 18 August 1945, aged 57 years
Cemetery: Springvale War Cemetery, Melbourne, Victoria
Springvale War Cemetery, Springvale, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Memorials: Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

5 Jan 1916: Enlisted AIF WW1, Driver, SN 14061, 15th Field Company Engineers
20 Apr 1916: Embarked Driver, SN 14061, 15th Field Company Engineers, SS Hawkes Bay, Sydney
20 Apr 1916: Involvement Driver, SN 14061, 15th Field Company Engineers
25 May 1919: Discharged AIF WW1, Driver, SN 14061, 15th Field Company Engineers, 3rd MD

World War 2 Service

3 Sep 1939: Involvement Sapper, SN V145880
30 Mar 1942: Enlisted Australian Military Forces (Army WW2), Private, SN V145880
18 Aug 1945: Involvement Australian Military Forces (Army WW2), Sapper, SN V145880, Field Company Engineers

Help us honour Andrew Charles Dillon's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Evan Evans

From How We Served
The final resting place for; - 14061 & V145880 Sapper Andrew Charles Dillon of Windsor and Hampton, Victoria, who prior to his enlistment for War Service on the 5th of January 1916 had been employed as a carpenter.

Andrew was allocated to reinforcements for the 15th Field Company Engineers 1st AIF and was embarked for Egypt, and further training on the 20th of April 1916, following which he was shipped to France.

By October Andrew was in his training phase at Etaples when he fell from a horse causing concussion, and was sent to England for hospitalization. Andrew was admitted into the 3rd London General Hospital at Wandsworth on the 8th of October.

Discharged from hospital for further duties on the 8th of November, Andrew was soon evacuated as sick, suffering from influenza, and was admitted into the 4th Convalescent Depot at Wareham.

Andrew did not return to training until the 19th of July 1917, and entered camp at Perham Downs. Cited as fit for service, Andrew was embarked to return to France, arriving at the Australian General Base Depot on the 8th of August.

On the 12th of August, Andrew returned to his Unit in the field, and his service aside slight injuries and illness would be continuous until he was granted Leave to England on the 31st of January 1918, and was returned to his Unit in France on the 18th of February.

By the 26th of March Andrew was returned to England for hospitalization due to an infected toe, and following hospital treatment, and then a period of convalesces at Hurdcott, Andrew returned to duty.
Andrew would be was retained in England where he served with the Overseas Training Brigade. With the War ending in November 1918, Andrew’s turn for Repatriation back to Australia began with his departure from England on the 21st of December 1919.

Following his return to Australia, Andrew received his official discharge from the 1st AIF on the 25th of May 1920 for his re-entry into civilian life.

With the outbreak of a Second World War, Andrew again presented himself for service with the Australian Military Forces on the 30th of March 1942, dropping his age by over ten years in order to be accepted.
Andrew was taken on strength for full time service within Australia, with his last Unit posting being with the 12th Maintenance Platoon of the Royal Australia Engineers.

Whilst on service, Andrew was struck by a moving train on the 15th of August 1945, and following his being admitted to the 115th Australian General Hospital (Heidelberg). On the 18th of August Andrew, whilst still a patient he succumbed to his injuries.
A veteran of the two World Wars, Sapper Andrew Dilllon, aged 57, was formally laid to rest within Springvale War Cemetery, Victoria.