Samson Donald FULLERTON


FULLERTON, Samson Donald

Service Number: 5375
Enlisted: 15 March 1916
Last Rank: Lance Corporal
Last Unit: 5th Infantry Battalion
Born: Mulwala, New South Wales, Australia, 1898
Home Town: Mulwala, Corowa Shire, New South Wales
Schooling: Mulwala Public School, New South Wales, Australia
Occupation: Railway porter
Died: Killed in action, France, 23 August 1918
Cemetery: Heath Cemetery, Picardie
Memorials: Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour, Corowa War Memorial, Mulwala War Memorial, Yarrawonga War Memorial
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

15 Mar 1916: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, SN 5375, 5th Infantry Battalion
3 Jul 1916: Involvement Private, SN 5375, 5th Infantry Battalion
3 Jul 1916: Embarked Private, SN 5375, 5th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Ayrshire, Melbourne
23 Aug 1918: Involvement Lance Corporal, SN 5375, 5th Infantry Battalion

Help us honour Samson Donald Fullerton's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Stephen Brooks

Tungamah and Lake Rowan Express and St. James Gazette 22 March 1917. SOLDIERS' LETTERS.

Mrs. Fullerton, Mulwala, has received the following letter from her son (Pte. S. D. Fullerton), who left Australia in July last year:

.....We were here nearly a fortnight, and then we went back to the trenches, this time reaching the front lines — the first time we only reached reserves. We put 4 days and nights in the front line and went through some misery. There were no dugouts to sleep in, and we could not make any for as soon as we started to dig, they would all fall in, often on top of someone; then we would have to dig him out. Then rain came, and on top of that snow. The trenches filled up to our knees in mud and I can tell you we were in a fine mess. We not only had to put up with this, but Fritz was shelling us as well. What with wounded and men going away sick we had a number of casualties. We went to the front line on 10th December and came out on the 14th. But when I came out I could hardly walk and my feet were nearly bursting in my boots; but I managed to get to our destination, and 5 of us were put in a dug-out for the night, but when I took my boots off my feet were swollen and sore and I slept little. In the morning I could not get out for my feet were too sore. The doctor came round but did not see me, as it was too dark; so, I had another day of misery. Anyhow the next day he came and saw me and I was taken to a dressing station and had my feet dressed and sent away to Le Treport (France), and from there to Le Havre and on to England. Continually being wet-footed and not being able to keep the blood circulating, caused trench feet, but not seriously.