Reginald Rutherford WATERS


WATERS, Reginald Rutherford

Service Number: 870
Enlisted: 1 March 1915, Enlisted at Melbourne
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 23rd Infantry Battalion
Born: Carlton, Victoria, Australia, 1893
Home Town: Carlton, Melbourne, Victoria
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Driver
Died: Shell wounds, 5th Field Ambulance, Gallipoli, 30 November 1915
Cemetery: Lone Pine Cemetery, ANZAC
Plot 1, Row A, Grave 17 Chaplain A.P. Bladen officiated,
Memorials: Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

1 Mar 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, SN 870, 23rd Infantry Battalion, Enlisted at Melbourne
10 May 1915: Involvement Private, SN 870, 23rd Infantry Battalion, 'ANZAC' / Gallipoli
10 May 1915: Embarked Private, SN 870, 23rd Infantry Battalion, HMAT Euripides, Melbourne

Help us honour Reginald Rutherford Waters's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Carol Foster

Residential address at the time of enlistment was 425 Cardigan Street, Carlton, Victoria

Son of Robert Edward Waters and and Letitia H. Waters nee Bridges last known address was 92 Wright Street, Middle Park, Victoria

Medals: 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal

Biography contributed by Evan Evans

From AWM History / Summary

870 Private Reginald Rutherford Waters was a 21 year old driver, from the suburb of Carlton in Melbourne, Victoria, when he enlisted in the AIF on 1 March 1915. After basic training he was assigned as to D Company, 23 Battalion.

The battalion left Melbourne for Egypt aboard the transport HMAT A14 Euripides on 10 May. After further training in Egypt, they arrived at Gallipoli in early September and soon afterwards went into the line at Lone Pine, remaining there until the evacuation in December. At Lone Pine the fighting was so dangerous and exhausting that 23 Battalion alternated in the line with 24 Battalion on a daily basis.

On 29 November, 23 Battalion's position was subjected to heavy Howitzer fire from the opposing Turkish forces. A number of Australian saps and a communications trench were damaged. During the bombardment, Waters was wounded by an incoming shell. He was evacuated to 6 Field Ambulance at nearby Brown's Dip, where he died at 9.30 am the following morning. Initially buried in the Brown's Dip Cemetery, Water's body was exhumed after the war and interred in the Brown's Dip Plot in Lone Pine Cemetery.