Minnie Farquharson PROCTOR RRC

PROCTOR, Minnie Farquharson

Service Number: Staff Nurse
Enlisted: 10 May 1915, Melbourne, Vic.
Last Rank: Staff Nurse
Last Unit: 3rd Australian General Hospital
Born: Dunedin, New Zealand, 1885
Home Town: St Kilda, Port Phillip, Victoria
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Nurse
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

10 May 1915: Enlisted Australian Army Nursing Service (WW1), Staff Nurse, SN Staff Nurse, Australian Army Nursing Service (WW1), Melbourne, Vic.
18 May 1915: Involvement 3rd Australian General Hospital
18 May 1915: Embarked 3rd Australian General Hospital, RMS Mooltan, Melbourne

Help us honour Minnie Farquharson Proctor's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Faithe Jones

Daughter of Minnie PROCTOR
'Dunedin' No 7 Marlton Crescent, St. Kilda, Vic.
Trained at Melbourne Hospital

Awarded Royal Red Cross (1st Class)
Date of Commonwealth of Australia Gazette: 18 April 1918
Location in Commonwealth of Australia Gazette: Page 847, position 164
Date of London Gazette: 1 January 1918
Location in London Gazette: Page 54, position 5

Miss Minnie Farquharson Proctor, also in the first classlist was born in New Zealand, but gained her training at the Melbourne Hospital where site was sister in charge for some months. She is the daughter of Mrs M. Proctor, 7 Marlton Crescent St. Kilda. In September she was on duty at the 3rd Australian General Hospital, France. Prior to that she was attached to a Casualty Clearing Station being one of the extra staff sent forward to assist after the battle of Messines. Commenting on this experience she wrote:--"No words can ever express what it feels like to be close to the line while a stunt is on. We were stationed four miles back, and often one could not make herself heard across the tent with the roar of the guns. Sometimes the barrage would keep up for hours. They shelled us all day and every day. Only one of our sisters was wounded. It is a miracle we were not all killed; but while you never think of danger. It is only after you come away and think over things you wonder how you went through it. No one can ever do enough for any man who has been in the front lines. I saw two German planes brought down. It sent a horrible feeling all through me to think men were in them. One German officer was admitted to my ward. His plane came down just by the hospital. He was only a poor little kid of 18, and had been flying for two years."

The Ballarat Courier Wednesday 09 January 1918 page 4