Service Number: NX113331
Enlisted: 9 July 1940, Adelong, New South Wales
Last Rank: Trooper
Last Unit: 2nd/4th Armoured Regiment
Born: Adelong, New South Wales, Australia, 24 January 1923
Home Town: Goulburn, Goulburn Mulwaree, New South Wales
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Jackaroo
Died: Died of wounds, Bougainville, Solomon Islands, Pacific Islands, 26 June 1945, aged 22 years
Cemetery: Port Moresby (Bomana) War Cemetery, Papua New Guinea
Memorials: Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour
Show Relationships

World War 2 Service

9 Jul 1940: Enlisted Private, NX113331, Adelong, New South Wales
12 Aug 1942: Enlisted Australian Military Forces (Army WW2), Private, NX113331, 2nd/4th Armoured Regiment
16 Jun 1945: Wounded Trooper, NX113331, 2nd/4th Armoured Regiment, Bougainville
26 Jun 1945: Involvement Trooper, NX113331, 2nd/4th Armoured Regiment, Bougainville

A Trooper

John was born on 24 January 1923 at Adelong, NSW, the first child of William Arkley Smith and Doris Smith (nee Elliott). He later had three younger brothers: Richard born in 1926, Phillip born in 1928 and Colin born in 1935. Little is known of his early life. He completed his intermediate schooling and held a technical qualification as a wool classer.

On 9 July 1940 (aged 17 years) he enlisted at Adelong, NSW (near Tumut) as a Trooper in the 2nd/ 4th Armoured Regiment of the 2nd AIF: Service Number NX113331. His home address was provided at that time as Combermere Street Goulburn, NSW. On a later form (dated 21 November 1940) John provided his date of birth as 24 January 1922 (not 1923) although official records state it is 1923. On the same document he provided his father’s address (William Arkley-Smith) as ‘The Bungalow’ at Attunga Road Miranda, NSW, and gave his own address as Ellerslie Station at Adelong, NSW.

In 1942 he transferred in and out of the 7th Light Horse, and on 1 December 1942 he was transferred to the 4th Australian Armoured Regiment, and travelled to Queensland for training.

On 25 August 1944 he embarked at Brisbane ‘per Duntroon’.

On 2 September 1944 he arrived at Madang, New Guinea.

On 8 May 1945 he left Madang ‘per LST 465’ and arrived at Torokina, Bougainville on 11 May 1945.

On 16 June 1945 John was ‘wounded in action’ and placed on the Seriously Injured list with 2nd degree burns.

On 19 June 1945 he was evacuated with 2nd degree burns to both upper limbs, trunk and face.

On 26 June 1945 John died of his wounds. He was 22 years old. On that day he was ‘buried in the field’.

On 19 July 1945 he was ‘reburied’ in Section E, Row A, Grave 2 at the Torokina War Cemetery (now known as Bomana War Cemetery at Port Moresby in Papua New Guinea.

Lest we forget.

Showing 1 of 1 story