Cecil Roland FRIZZELL


FRIZZELL, Cecil Roland

Service Number: 426572
Enlisted: 18 July 1942
Last Rank: Flight Sergeant
Last Unit: No. 467 Squadron (RAAF)
Born: Toowoomba, Qld., 12 May 1923
Home Town: Southbrook, Toowoomba, Queensland
Schooling: Southbrook Harlemar School, Toowoomba Grammar School
Occupation: Clerk Toowoomba Foundry Sales Office
Died: Flying Battle, United Kingdom, 5 December 1943, aged 20 years
Cemetery: Cambridge City Cemetery, United Kingdom
Grave 13735
Memorials: Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour, International Bomber Command Centre Memorial, Southbrook & District Roll of Honour, Toowoomba Grammar School WW2 Honour Board, Toowoomba Roll of Honour WW2, Toowoomba WW2 Roll of Honour Book, Toowoomba War Memorial (Mothers' Memorial)
Show Relationships

World War 2 Service

3 Sep 1939: Involvement Flight Sergeant, SN 426572
18 Jul 1942: Enlisted Royal Australian Air Force, Flight Sergeant, SN 426572, No. 467 Squadron (RAAF)
18 Jul 1942: Enlisted Royal Australian Air Force, Flight Sergeant, SN 426572
18 Jul 1942: Involvement Royal Australian Air Force, Flight Sergeant, SN 426572
Date unknown: Discharged Royal Australian Air Force, Flight Sergeant, SN 426572

Help us honour Cecil Roland Frizzell's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Faithe Jones

Son of John Roland Hyland and Ursula Marie Frizzell, of Southbrook, Queensland

Flight Sergeant Cecil Frizzell was an Air Gunner and member of the crew of a No. 467 Squadron Royal Australian Air Force Lancaster Bomber JB 140. It crashed at Royal Air Force Station, Waddington, Lincolnshire, on 4th December 1943 after taking off on an operational sortie. He received severe lacerations to his head and suffered a fractured skull. He died of his injuries the following day at the Royal Air Force Hospital at Rauceby in the United Kingdom.

On the night of 3/4th December 1943 I was detailed to attack Leipzig. Before take off I did the normal ground run and was completely satisfied with the four engines of the aircraft. At approximately 10 minutes before take-off time I started all four engines and taxied out to take off. I had just become airborne when a violent swing to port developed and on hearing the Bomb Aimer say “Your lights have come on, Bill” to the Engineer, I realised that the two port engines had cut. Suddenly, however, these engines picked up again (I learned later that the Engineer changed from No. 2 to 1 tanks) but they cut for the second time and I endeavoured to crash land in a field ahead. I was able to stall the aircraft on to the ground and before leaving switched off all fuel cocks and ignition switches, and on seeing my crew leaving ordered them well away in case the bomb load exploded. I was successful in kicking away some burning incendiaries from near the aircraft and assisted in carrying the unconscious Rear Gunner (Cecil Frizzell) well away from the scene. I then went to the Flying Control to report the accident.