Clifford Arnold WALL


WALL, Clifford Arnold

Service Numbers: 6340, 6340A
Enlisted: 30 March 1916, Adelaide, South Australia
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 27th Infantry Battalion
Born: Wandearah, South Australia, 15 August 1894
Home Town: Wandearah, South Australia
Schooling: Wandearah Public School
Occupation: Farmer
Died: Killed in Action (allied bombardment falling short), Allaines, Peronne, France, 2 September 1918, aged 24 years
Cemetery: Peronne Communal Cemetery Extension
III C 15
Memorials: Adelaide National War Memorial, Australian War Memorial, Roll of Honour, Wandearah West Memorial and Flagpole, Wandearah West Memorial and Flagpole
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

30 Mar 1916: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, SN 6340, Adelaide, South Australia
28 Aug 1916: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 6340, 10th Infantry Battalion, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
28 Aug 1916: Embarked AIF WW1, Private, SN 6340, 10th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Anchises, Adelaide
2 Sep 1918: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 6340A, 27th Infantry Battalion, Mont St Quentin / Peronne

A Wandearah farm lad

Born and raised at Wandearah, South Australia, where his parent's had pioneered a grain farm, he was the last born of their thirteen children, of whom nine survived to adulthood. As the 'baby' in this large family, Cliff always had plenty of activity in his childhood. Sunday church was never missed, as his father was a very pious man. Attending the Wandearah school, as a teenager he joined the Port Pirie CMF unit in the Light Horse, serving nearly three years. In the meantime he worked large draught horse teams pulling implements on his parents farm. Cliff was a light-hearted lad, well known among the family for his love of practical jokes. The young girls all adored Cliff.

At the age of 21 Cliff enlisted in the AIF at Adelaide on 30 March 1916, training at Morphettville and Mitcham camps. Assigned to reinforcements for the 27th battalion, Cliff sailed for England in August 1916. After further training there, he arrived at the Western Front in France in December 1916. During the next eighteen months he was in and out of battle, being shelled, gassed, shot in the leg, then gassed again. In January 1918 he was granted leave in England, where he visited distant relatives at London and Ipswich.

Returning to the war, he was engaged in the final battles. When pursuing the retreating Germans through open fields near Peronne he was killed by an allied bombardment which fell short. Hurriedly buried where he fell, he was later exhumed and reburied by the War Graves Commission. Aged 24, he had never married. WWI ended just nine weeks later.

Showing 1 of 1 story