Malcolm George Patrick HIPWELL


HIPWELL, Malcolm George Patrick

Service Number: Officer
Enlisted: Not yet discovered
Last Rank: Captain
Last Unit: 5th South Australian Imperial Bushmen
Born: Lyndoch, South Australia, Australia, 2 March 1862
Home Town: Adelaide, Adelaide, South Australia
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Civil Servant
Died: Died of Illness (enteric), Kroonstadt, South Africa, 25 May 1901, aged 39 years
Cemetery: Kroonstad Old Cemetery, South Africa
Tree Plaque: Not yet discovered
Memorials: Adelaide Boer War Memorial, Australian War Memorial, Roll of Honour, Lyndoch Boer War Memorial, North Adelaide St Peter's Cathedral Boer War Honour Roll
Show Relationships

Boer War Service

1 Oct 1899: Involvement Australian and Colonial Military Forces (Boer War / Boxer Rebellion), Captain, SN Officer, 5th South Australian Imperial Bushmen
1 Oct 1899: Involvement Captain, 5th South Australian Imperial Bushmen


Chronicle (Adelaide, SA: 1895 - 1954) Saturday 6 July 1901
(From Corporal Alexander.)
Kroonstad, May 27, 1901.

After a day's stay in Durban the Sixth South Australian Contingent (I.B.C.) took the train on April 28 and travelled to Pietermaritzburg, the capital. We stayed there overnight, and next day we left and journeyed by rail for four days and three nights to Elandstontein. We remained overnight, and next day went back by rail to Standerton. We were there for over a week, when our company went on, but I was left behind to look after the luggage of the officers and men. Two days later I took the train for Kroonstad, a journey of two days. I have three other men of our lot with me. When I arrived at Kroonstad I was met by about 20 of the Fifth Contingent, and they helped me and showed me to the camp. We have been here for over a week.
On May 24, the late Queen's birthday, there was a public holiday, and we went to a golf match in the morning, and in the afternoon to a Rugby football match. We attended church in the town on Sunday, and every evening in the camp we have a sing- song. We have had several turns out of a night on account of the picket posts firing at things.
We received some very bad news on May 25. It was that Captain Hipwell, of the Fifth Contingent, had died on the night of May 24 at 12 o'clock. On Sunday, May 26, we went to his funeral, and there was a splendid turnout of the men. He was buried from No. 3 General Hospital. We fell in at the hospital at 3.30 p.m., and the bearers carried the coffin from the mortuary to a gun-carriage, on which it was placed. The coffin was painted black, and was covered by the Union Jack. The carriage moved off from the deadhouse, and passed through two rows of English and colonial troops. The procession was formed as follows: — The firing party, which consisted of the 6th Mounted Infantry Brigade, the Scottish Band, the gun carriage (which was drawn by six horses and escorted by the bearers, three on each side). The coffin bearers were: — Corporal Bartlett, Fifth Contingent; Corporal Alexander, Sixth Contingent; with Troopers Maley, Cook, Clark, and Smith, all of the Fifth Contingent. Then came the members of the Fifth and Sixth South Australian Contingents, the Imperial Yeomanry, the Prince of Wales Light Horse, General W. G. Knox, C.B., and his staff, the Dragoon Guards, and the Royal Horse Artillery.
On the way to the cemetery the band played "Abide with me." At the gate we took the coffin off and carried it to the grave. As the body was borne past the troops they presented arms. At the grave there was a large crowd. The service for the dead was conducted by an Anglican clergyman, and the band played, after which Corporal Heaney (late of the Fifth Contingent), of the Prince of Wales Light Horse, blew the "Last post." When the service had been read we covered in the grave. The whole of the arrangements for the funeral were in the hands of Major Heaney, late of South Australia, and now of the Prince of Wales Light Horse.

Showing 1 of 1 story

Biography contributed by Faithe Jones

Chronicle (Adelaide, S.A.) 1-6-1901
The Chief Secretary has received a telegram from South Africa stating that Captain Malcolm G. Hipwell, of the 5th Contingent, died of enteric fever at Kroon-
Stad on May 25. Mr. Jenkins has forwarded condolences on behalf of the Government to Mrs. Hipwell, at Rose Park.
The late Captain Hipwell was a Civil servant, employed in the Audit Department. He worked his way up in the ranks of the Military Forces, and whether as a private, non-commissioned officer, or officer, he always comported himself in a thoroughly soldier-like manner, and won the respect and confidence of his superiors and subordinates. In the palmiest days of the forces Captain Hipwell commanded C Company of the old 3rd Battalion, and it is said he fashioned it into a model company, and the authorities at headquarters were not slow in acknowledging his success. As a rifleman he was always to the fore. He had been the holder of the Simpson trophy, and as a member of the redoubtable C Company rifle team he made many remarkable scores. When in command of his company Captain Hipwell arranged several country trips, and under his leadership his team was rarely beaten. He was at one time in charge of the Reserve Company. In order to foster rifle shooting the captain assumed the role of author, and published a book, entitled "The Rifle; How to Use it." The work contained much valuable material for beginners. He also edited "The Rifle," a periodical published in the interest of riflemen. When the new defence regulations came into force Captain Hipwell did not again go into the active branch, but as secretary of the South Australian National Rifle Association (a position he held for many years with success), he remained in close touch with the officers and men. Two years ago he was offered and accepted the position of officer instructor of musketry of the S.A.M.F., and in that capacity he did much to increase the number of marksmen in the State.
The news of the death of Captain Hipwell was received in military circles with the most profound regret, for the deceased gentleman was a splendid soldier and very popular. The social which had been arranged to take place in the Naval and Military Club to Major C. J.. Reade, C.B., on Tuesday evening, was postponed out of respect for the late captain. Brigadier-General Gordon, C.B., who was deeply affected by the sad intelligence, paid a visit to Mrs. Hipwell during the day, and expressed his deep sympathy with her. The unwelcome news had been previously broken to the widow by Captain O. Esselbach, who succeeded Captain Hipwell as officer instructor of musketry and as a member of the rifle range board. The Commandant, when waited upon by a representative of "The Advertiser," said: "In selecting Captain Hipwell to command a squadron in the Fifth Contingent, I felt fully confident of his capacity for the position. I had an intimate knowledge of the captain, and our personal friendship had existed for many years. During the whole of my acquaintance I looked upon him as one of the most painstaking and reliable officers in the local forces. His active interest in rifle shooting fitted him for the positions which he held as officer instructor of musketry and secretary of the S.A. National Rifle Association. I selected Captain Hipwell for a command in the contingent from a number of applicants, and while I felt that perhaps an infantry officer might find it difficult to lead mounted men, still the fact that the command necessitated something more than actual leading in the field, induced me to select him for the post. I knew that he had the qualities which were essential to a successful commander, and bore in mind that many infantry officers had turned out to be very good Mounted Infantry officers. We all deplore Captain Hipwell's early decease, and feel the deepest sympathy for the unfortunate widow and children." Major C. J. Reade, C.B., who also had a close personal acquaintance with Captain Hipwell said, "I am deeply grieved to hear of the captain's death. I know his services in the Defence Forces will be greatly missed, particularly in connection with rifle shooting, of which he was so particularly fond. His proficiency with the rifle was of a high order. We deplore his death, and feel that it will be hard to find a successor so worthy and so eminently fitted for the offices he filled. "Throughout the Military Forces the above eulogistic remarks will be re-echoed. The deceased officer stood in the front rank of rifle shots, and there was a general feeling of pleasure when he was appointed to supervise the rifle shooting of the Defence Forces. That was a couple of years ago, and in the comparatively brief period during which he held the office he made his influence felt in the direction of improving the marksmanship. He inaugurated periodical lectures to the officers and men on musketry, and by example, and contributions to the press, and pamphlets, took a foremost part in the rifle movement. He was constantly heard in advocating the provision of properly-equipped ranges at Port Adelaide, and as a result of his representations the spirit of indifference which had prevailed with reference to this important matter was changed to one of active interest. Captain Hipwell's appointment to the command of C Squadron of the Fifth Contingent was generally looked upon as a fitting reward for years of meritorious service. On the eve of his departure for South Africa Captain Hipwell was farewelled first by the Naval and Military Club, and next by the members of the South Australian National Rifle Association. In reply to the toast of his health at the former gathering, he said he would always endeavor to do his duty and reflect credit on the State which he represented. He felt proud at having the opportunity to go on active service, and when he returned he hoped they would say that their eulogistic references concerning him had been deserved. Brigadier-General Gordon, C.B., who presided over the rifleman's farewell social, said Captain Hipwell had done good work in encouraging rifle shooting, not only in this State, but throughout Australia. He was going out to fight, and as commandant of the South Australian Military Force the speaker had great pleasure in recommending him for his position as senior squadron officer commanding. He had the qualifications of a soldier—courage and ability— and they wished him every success.
Lieutenant-Colonel Roberts said if Captain Hipwell could return in time for the September S.A.N.R.A. matches he felt confident that all riflemen would be ready to grip him by the hand and warmly welcome him home. Lieutenant-Colonel Dean believed Captain Hipwell would acquit himself with credit in South Africa. Lieutenant-Colonel Castine testified that the captain would make good use of the rifle if he had the chance. He hoped he would be successful in dodging both the Boer bullets and disease, and on his home-coming he would receive a warm welcome. Captain O. Esselbach, Mr. W. H. Galliford, and Lieutenant Hutchinson also spoke in complimentary terms of the captain.

The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA: 1889 - 1931) Wednesday 29 May 1901


By the death in South Africa of Captain M. G. Hipwell — particulars of whose life   appear in another column — the South Australian Military Forces have lost a valuable officer. The late Captain Hipwell an enthusiastic rifle shot, and for many years was a prominent leader in the rifle   movement. As secretary of the S.A.N.R. Association, and officer instructor of musketry, he had ample scope for his energies, and he discharged the duties with conspicuous ability. He leaves a widow and three young children.

The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA: 1889 - 1931) Monday 3 June 1901


HIPWELL.—On the 25th May, at Kroonstadt, South Africa, of enteric fever, Captain Malcolm George Patrick Hipwell, commanding officer of the Fifth Contingent I.B.C., and beloved son of the late W. T. Hipwell and Mrs. Hipwell, Porter-street, Parkside, aged 39 years.

The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA: 1889 - 1931) Friday 7 June 1901


The secretary of the Victorian Rifle Association (Mr. F. Thomas) has written to Captain O. Esselbach, asking him to convey to the widow of the late Captain Hipwell, who died from fever at Kroonstadt recently, the heartfelt sympathy of the council in her sad bereavement. "The late captain," added the writer, "was personally known to almost all of the council, and his worth, as a sterling soldier, a gallant gentle- man, and an invaluable worker in defence matters was highly appreciated. The council trust that the knowledge that he died whilst pursuing a noble and patriotic ideal will fortify Mrs. Hipwell in her great trial." The secretary of the S.A.N.R.A. (Mr. A. Cornish), has also forwarded a letter of condolence to Mrs., Hipwell, as follows: "Dear Madam — At the annual general meeting of this association, held last evening, I was unanimously directed, on behalf of the council and members, to convey to you their sincere sympathy and condolence in your bereavement. As hon. secretary of this association the late Captain Hipwell had done excellent work, and the fruits of his labor will be beneficially felt by the   association and the members individually, for many years to come. Believe me, the members share your sorrow, and recognise in his death the loss of one whose ability, good nature, and kind heart gained for him the high place amongst his fellows which he so truly deserved."