Albert Edward DADD

DADD, Albert Edward

Service Number: 3293
Enlisted: Not yet discovered
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 35th Infantry Battalion
Born: Botany New South Wales, 18 March 1899
Home Town: Redfern, City of Sydney, New South Wales
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Glass worker
Died: 8 June 1949, aged 50 years, cause of death not yet discovered, place of death not yet discovered
Cemetery: Not yet discovered
Memorials: Ballarat Australian Ex-Prisoners of War Memorial, New South Wales Garden of Remembrance (Rookwood Necropolis)
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

2 Aug 1917: Involvement Private, 3293, 35th Infantry Battalion, --- :embarkation_roll: roll_number: '17' embarkation_place: Sydney embarkation_ship: HMAT Miltiades embarkation_ship_number: A28 public_note: ''
2 Aug 1917: Embarked Private, 3293, 35th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Miltiades, Sydney
12 Oct 1917: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, 3293, 35th Infantry Battalion, 1st Passchendaele
24 Apr 1918: Wounded AIF WW1, Private, 3293, 35th Infantry Battalion, Villers-Bretonneux, He was shot in the leg and captured by the Germans. He was taken prisoner and kept working behind the German lines.

Help us honour Albert Edward Dadd's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Glenunga International High School

Albert Edward Dadd was born on 18th of March 1899 in Botany New South Wales. He lived in 99 Buckingham street with his father, David Dadd. His mother however had passed away. He started his career at age 17 as a glass worker. He decided to join the army. His Dad also encouraged him to do so. On the 3rd of April 1917 at the age of 18 he enlisted. He stood at 5 feet 6 inches and weighed 119 pounds. He was in unit 35th battalion, 8th Reinforcement. His unit embarked, from Sydney New South Wales, on board HMAT A28 Miltiades on 2 of August 1917.

Albert Edward Dadd took part in his first major battle in Belgium mid-1917. His unit’s next battle was around Passchendaele on 12th of October in Belgium in a harsh weather with heavy rain and thick mud spreading on the ground. This battle was a disaster for his unit the 35th battalion. 508 men crossed the start but only 90 remained unwounded at the end.

For the next 5 months he rested and was trained with his unit. Later the German Army launched its last great offensive in the spring of 1918, he had to be part of the force deployed to counter the enemies around Villars- Bertonneux. The Germans attacked their positons and then launched the infantry at them. He was wounded during the Villers-Bertonneux, he was shot in the leg. The Germans captured Albert Dadd and 19 other man of the 35th battalion. During action he saw the lieutenant getting killed. He was kept a prisoner at war and kept working behind the German lines. Albert Edward Dadd was released in November 1918. Later on the 11th of May 1919 he returned to Australia. He died on the 5th of June 1949. He was buried in New South Wales Garden of Remembrance.