Keith Maurice LEVI

LEVI, Keith Maurice

Service Number: Officer
Enlisted: Not yet discovered
Last Rank: Captain
Last Unit: 1st Australian General Hospital
Born: 6 October 1890, place not yet discovered
Home Town: Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria
Schooling: Melbourne C of E Grammar School; Melbourne University
Occupation: Medical Practitioner
Died: Killed In Action, Gallipoli, 7 August 1915, aged 24 years
Cemetery: Twelve Tree Copse Cemetery
I E 20
Memorials: MCC Roll of Honour 1914 - 1918 - Melbourne Cricket Club, Melbourne Grammar School WW1 Fallen Honour Roll, Victorian Jewish War Memorial, WA Jewish War Memorial
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

Date unknown: Involvement AIF WW1, Captain, Officer, 1st Australian General Hospital

Help us honour Keith Maurice LEVI's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Faithe Jones

KEITH MAURICE LEVI who was killed in action at the Dardanelles on 7th August 1915 was the second son of Mr. Joseph Levi of St. Kilda. He was born in 1891 and entered the School in 1906 and left in 1908. While at School he was a prominent member of the Camera Club, winning some of the competitions. The drop scene in use at the dramatic entertainments in Big School was painted from a photo taken by him for one of the competitions.

On leaving School he entered Ormond College at the Melbourne University and graduated M.B. and Ch.B. in 1914, taking a Third Class in Obstetrics in his final examination. He was a prominent University hockey player.

He became resident medical officer at the Melbourne Hospital for a short time and then joined the staff of the Perth Public Hospital and remained there until he joined the A.A.M.C. as Captain on 14th January 1915.

He went to Egypt with Light Horse Reinforcements in February 1915. He was for some time at the 1st Australian General Hospital, Heliopolis. Early in May he left for the Dardanelles, and was working between there and Alexandria on the transports with - the wounded. He was afterwards appointed to take charge of the medical camp at Imbros-a resting camp for soldiers from trenches-and was there until 29th July, when he became attached as Regimental Medical Officer to the Hampshire Regiment, 29th Division.

He was shot through the head and killed instantly while on duty with his regiment at Cape Helles. He was Mentioned in Sir Ian Hamilton's Despatches of 11th December 1915.