Raymond Charles CINORIS

CINORIS, Raymond Charles

Service Number: VX40545
Enlisted: 24 June 1940, Caulfield, Victoria
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 2nd/23rd Infantry Battalion
Born: Melbourne, Victoria, 9 October 1918
Home Town: Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria
Schooling: Reservior State School
Occupation: Bootmaker
Died: Accidental (trampled by the milkman's horse), Melbourne, Victoria, 29 August 1948, aged 29 years
Cemetery: Melbourne General Cemetery, Carlton
Believed to be buried with wife and two children
Show Relationships

World War 2 Service

24 Jun 1940: Enlisted 2nd AIF WW 2, Private, SN VX40545, Caulfield, Victoria
23 May 1944: Discharged 2nd AIF WW 2, Private, SN VX40545, 2nd/23rd Infantry Battalion

Help us honour Raymond Charles Cinoris's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Stephen Currey

Ray was the son of Charles & Alice Cinoris and he grew up in Melbourne, Victoria. He had a brother and two sisters, Dorothy, Leonard, & Mavis (my mother).

He worked with his father as a bootmaker and had been serving in the Citizens Militay Forces since 1936, first with the 57th/60th Battalion then transferred to the 6th Battalion in 1938. When war was getting closer they were asked if they wanted to join the regular Army, and Ray put his hand up.

He was then transferred to the 4th Battalion and sent to Albury N.S.W. and graduated on the 20th August 1940 when all were transferred to the C Company 2/23rd Battalion A.I.F.. It was about this time he married Margaretta Jean Roberts, and by November 1940 he was on his way to the Mid-East aboard the Stathmore. after a period in Palestine they found themselves in Lybia and eventually Tobruk until there evacuation in Oct 1941.

In December 1941 he was chosen for the 9th Divisional Ski Company and acted as a Batman for Captain J.S.Cumpston of the 2/23rd & Commander of the 9th Div Ski Company. He spent the next 3 months at the Cedars in Lebanon where they tryed to learn to ski (it was not a success). After that they were back in Palestine until they were rushed back Egypt and took part in the first battle of Alemane. The 2/23rd, 2/24th & 2/48th then held the area at Tel el Eisa for the next few months until late October when the second battle for El Alemain began after the battle the men were sent back to Palestine and then back to Australia for rest and Refit.

When arriving home he found his wife had given birth to baby daughter (not Rays). He forgave his wife and went on to have a son and daughter, unfortunatally both kids died from (TB) before their second birthdays, a condition they inherited from there mother. And in 1947 his Margaretta also died from (TB). After seeing the horrors of war and seeing alot of his long time freinds being killed in action, then having a family and loosing them all finished him, mum say's he was never the same again and become very withdrawn untill his early death in 1948.