About This Unit
Originally established as Machine gun sections in each Regiment of Light Horse, the sections were later amalgamated under Brigade control in much the same way as occurred with Machine Gun Companies amalgamating to form Battalions in the AIF. So each Light Horse Brigade had a Machine Gun Squadron established under Command to best provide fire support, equipped with Vickers medium machine guns.
The soldiers in the Squadron were drawn from the three Regiments of the Brigade and supported the Brigade and its subordinate units throughout the Egypt and Palestine campaigns 1916-18.
In the main photograph the gun is receiving range data fromn the soldier equipped with the tubular device which is a steroscopic range finder.
Steve Larkins Jun 2014
Battle/ Campaign/ Involvement
We would particularly like to encourage individual historians researchers or members of unit associations to contribute to the development of a more detailed history and photographs pertaining to this unit and its members.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details on how to contribute.