No. 464 Squadron (RAAF)

Normal 464 mosquito

About This Unit

Big thumb 464 badge

464 Squadron RAAF

464 Squadron Association website

No 464 Squadron formed in England for service with the RAF in August 1942 initially equipped with Venturas and based at Feltwell in Norfolk as part of 140 Wing  2 Group.

140 Wing consisted of 464 Squadron, 487 NZ Squadron and 21 Squadron RAF. The Wing would complete many significant missions during the remaining years of the war.

Their first operation on 6th Dec 1942 was against the Philips factory at Eindhoven in a mixed force of Venturas (464, 487 NZ and 21 RAF), Bostons and Mosquitoes.

464 Squadron re-equipped with Mosquito FB VI. The first Mosquito mission was flown on 3rd October 1943 the target being a power station at Mur-de-Bretagne.

The squadron continued flying daylight raids and later on night intruder missions till the end of hostilities.

Some of the significant missions flown were the series of raids against Gestapo targets:

Amiens Raid                —18th February 1944 (Amiens Prison housed prisoners of the Gestapo; the aim was to breach the walls of the prison to allow the captives to escape)

Aarhus Raid                —31st October 1944 (Another Gestapo complex)

Shellhaus Raid           —21st March 1945.

These raids are described in detail in the Squadron Unit History

“The Gestapo Hunters: 464 Squadron RAAF 1942-1945”

by Mark Lax and Leon Kane Maguire

First Published by Banner Books.

ISBN 1 875593 19 5

Read more...