John Herbert MARTIN

MARTIN, John Herbert

Service Number: 4257
Enlisted: 3 August 1915, Melbourne, Vic.
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 5th Infantry Battalion
Born: Richmond, Vic., 13 December 1890
Home Town: Warrnambool, Warrnambool, Victoria
Schooling: Abbotsford Sate School 1886, Warrnambool Agricultural High School, Melbourne High School, Carlton Teacher's College
Occupation: School Teacher
Died: Killed in Action, France, 2 March 1917, aged 26 years
Cemetery: Beaulencourt British Cemetery, Ligny-Thilloy
IV G 7
Memorials: Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour, Parkville Old State College Memorial Windows, Warrnambool Agricultural High School "They Died For Us" Honour Roll, Warrnambool Agricultural High School Honor Roll
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

3 Aug 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, 4257, 5th Infantry Battalion, Melbourne, Vic.
29 Dec 1915: Involvement Private, 4257, 5th Infantry Battalion, --- :embarkation_roll: roll_number: '8' embarkation_place: Melbourne embarkation_ship: HMAT Demosthenes embarkation_ship_number: A64 public_note: ''
29 Dec 1915: Embarked Private, 4257, 5th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Demosthenes, Melbourne

Help us honour John Herbert Martin's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Faithe Jones

Private John Herbert Martin, son of Richard and Mary Martin, of 17 Albert Street, Abbotsford, was born at Richmond on the 13th December, 1890.  He received his early education at School 1886, Lithgow Street, Abbotsford.  Afterwards he attened the Melbourne High School and the Teachers' College, Carlton; then held positions as junior teacher at Schools 2798, North Richmond, 3555, Fairview, 814, Jamieson, 3268 Neilborough North, and the Warrnambool High School earning the reputation of an earnest and upright worker, careful and accurate.  He enlisted on the 31st of July 1915, and embarked with the 13th Reinforcements to the 5th Battalion,  He joined his unit in Egypt, and proceeded to France on the 29th of March, 1916.  He was wounded in action on the 6th of November, but returned to his unit again on the 2nd of January 1917, and was killed on the 2nd of March.