Ella Charity DART

DART, Ella Charity

Service Numbers: Not yet discovered
Enlisted: Not yet discovered
Last Rank: Not yet discovered
Last Unit: Australian Army Nursing Service (WW1)
Born: Redruth, Burra, South Australia, 18 September 1892
Home Town: Port Pirie, Port Pirie City and Dists, South Australia
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Nurse
Memorials: Keswick South Australian Army Nurses Roll of Honor, Mundoora War Memorial, Port Broughton War Memorial, Yacka Public School Roll of Honour
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

15 Sep 1917: Involvement Australian Army Nursing Service (WW1), --- :embarkation_roll: roll_number: '23' embarkation_place: Sydney embarkation_ship: HMAT Ayrshire embarkation_ship_number: A33 public_note: ''
15 Sep 1917: Embarked Australian Army Nursing Service (WW1), HMAT Ayrshire, Sydney

Help us honour Ella Charity Dart's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Faithe Jones

Married John Tyack LAWRY 15 September 1920 at St. Mary Magdalene Church, Adelaide, SA

Biography contributed by tony griffin

Ella Charity Dart was the daughter of Henry John and Evelyn Dart of Mundoora. Henry Dart was the head teacher at the Mundoora Public School. A qualified nurse, Ella had undertaken her three years training at the Port Pirie Hospital. She was 27 years old when she was appointed to the Australian Army Nursing Service on 19 July 1917. Ella embarked from Sydney aboard HMAT A33 "Ayshire" on 15 September 1917. At the end of October Ella commenced duty at the Nasrieh Hospital, Cairo. The day after Christmas Ella was admitted to Citidal Military Hospital for a period of 3 days and again on 29 April 1918. The nature of Ella’s illness is not recorded but it must have been serious for her to be in hospital for over 3 months. Ella was discharged from hospital on 7 August and on 30 August embarked for Australia aboard SS "Wiltshire". Ella disembarked in Perth on 3 October and proceeded to 5th Military District for duty. She returned to Adelaide on 20 June 1919 and her appointment was terminated on 2 August.