Alton Claude CATTLE MiD

CATTLE, Alton Claude

Service Numbers: 12796, S213597
Enlisted: 2 June 1940, Cheltenham, SA
Last Rank: Lieutenant
Last Unit: 11th Field Ambulance
Born: Adelaide, SA, 1891
Home Town: Dulwich, Burnside, South Australia
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: School Master
Died: 3 July 1960, cause of death not yet discovered, place of death not yet discovered
Cemetery: Not yet discovered
Memorials: Adelaide High School Honour Board, Adelaide University of Adelaide WW1 Honour Roll, Houghton War Memorial, Rose Park Gartrell Memorial Methodist Church Roll of Honour, South Australian Education Department Roll of Honour, Tusmore Burnside District Roll of Honour
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

31 May 1916: Involvement Private, 12796, 11th Field Ambulance, --- :embarkation_roll: roll_number: '23' embarkation_place: Adelaide embarkation_ship: HMAT Suevic embarkation_ship_number: A29 public_note: ''
31 May 1916: Embarked Private, 12796, 11th Field Ambulance, HMAT Suevic, Adelaide

World War 2 Service

2 Jun 1940: Involvement Lieutenant, S213597
2 Jun 1940: Enlisted Cheltenham, SA
2 Jun 1940: Enlisted Australian Military Forces (WW2) , Lieutenant, S213597
13 Jul 1941: Discharged

Help us honour Alton Claude Cattle's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Modbury High School

Alton Claude Cattle was born in the year 1891. Before the war, he had the occupation of a schoolmaster. He lived on Brunswick Road in Dulwich, Adelaide, South Australia. During 1907, he was enrolled in the School of Design in Port Adelaide and was recognized in the art examinations section in the Advertiser.

Alton enlisted in Dulwich on 11 March 1916 in the 11th Field Ambulance and embarked on board the HMAT A29 Suevic on 31 May 1916, recording his mother Jane Cattle as his next of kin. As Alton was a part of the 11th Field Ambulance, he was responsible for second line casualty’s and evacuations. He was appointed Lieutenant and did some training in officier's school. He was Mentioned in Despatches for his bravery. Unfortunately he became ill and was hospitalised and was sent back to Australia in late 1918 due to his condition.

He passed away on the 3rd of July 1960, aged 69.