Service Number: 342
Enlisted: 22 October 1914
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 50th Infantry Battalion
Born: Yorkshire, England, date not yet discovered
Home Town: Port Broughton, Barunga West, South Australia
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Agricuturist
Died: Killed in Action, France, 5 April 1918, age not yet discovered
Cemetery: Ribemont Communal Cemetery Extension, Somme
I H 10, Ribemont Communal Cemetery Extension, Ribemont, Picardie, France
Memorials: Adelaide National War Memorial, Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour, Port Broughton War Memorial
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

22 Oct 1914: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, 342, 9th Light Horse Regiment
11 Feb 1915: Involvement Private, 342, 9th Light Horse Regiment, --- :embarkation_roll: roll_number: '2' embarkation_place: Melbourne embarkation_ship: HMAT Karroo embarkation_ship_number: A10 public_note: ''
11 Feb 1915: Embarked Private, 342, 9th Light Horse Regiment, HMAT Karroo, Melbourne
5 Apr 1918: Involvement Private, 342, 50th Infantry Battalion, --- :awm_ww1_roll_of_honour_import: awm_service_number: 342 awm_unit: 50 Battalion awm_rank: Private awm_died_date: 1918-04-05

Help us honour Allan Stephenson's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by tony griffin

Allan Stephenson was the son of Mr. and Mrs. George Stephenson of Seamer, Yorkshire.  He was born at Seamer in about 1892. The young Englishman had emigrated to Australia to work with a relative, Herb Stephenson of Mundoora but it was possible he was working for Mr. and Mrs. C. E. Duffield, farmers of Port Broughton at the time of his enlistment.


Allan was 22 years old when he enlisted at Morphettville on 22 October 1914.

Appointed to 9 Light Horse Regiment he embarked from Melbourne aboard HMAT A10 “Karroo” on 11 February 1915. After training in Egypt he proceeded to Gallipoli on 16 May. A month later, on 27 June, he received a shell wound and was evacuated to 1st Australian General Hospital in Heliopolis. On 29 July he returned to Gallipoli but was again wounded when he suffered a gunshot wound to his foot. Two days later he embarked for England where he was admitted to King George Hospital.

Recovered from his wounds Allan proceeded overseas to France on 4 December 1916 and was taken on strength of 50 Battalion. Allan was wounded for a third time on 15 October when he was hit by shrapnel in his right thigh. He was again invalided to England and admitted to Middlesex War Hospital. He returned to France and rejoined 50 Battalion on 9 March but this time his luck had run out and he was killed near Dernancourt on 5 April 1918.

Allan is interred in Ribemont Communal Cemetery Extension, Somme.