Service Number: 5839
Enlisted: 14 April 1916, Adelaide, South Australia
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 48th Infantry Battalion
Born: Adelaide, South Australia, 23 February 1894
Home Town: Payneham, Norwood Payneham St Peters, South Australia
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Electrician
Died: Killed in Action (shell), Passchendaele, Belgium, 12 October 1917, aged 23 years
Cemetery: No known grave - "Known Unto God"
Memorials: Adelaide National War Memorial, Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour, Menin Gate Memorial (Commonwealth Memorial to the Missing of the Ypres Salient)
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

14 Apr 1916: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, SN 5839, Adelaide, South Australia
27 Jun 1916: Embarked AIF WW1, Private, SN 5839, 10th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Barambah, Melbourne
27 Jun 1916: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 5839, 10th Infantry Battalion, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
31 Oct 1916: Transferred AIF WW1, Private, 48th Infantry Battalion
11 Apr 1917: Wounded Private, SN 5839, 48th Infantry Battalion, Bullecourt (First), GSW (arm)
31 Jul 1917: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 5839, 48th Infantry Battalion, Third Ypres
12 Oct 1917: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 5839, 48th Infantry Battalion, 1st Passchendaele

Harry Hewish's biography

Harry was born on 23rd February, 1894 at Norman Street Adelaide, the son of Arthur Hewish and Agnes Scott.

After he left school Harry was first a market gardener with his father Arthur and then he became an electrician.

In his late teens Harry joined the Senior Cadets (the 76th Brigade) for twelve months then he transferred to the Citizen Forces of the 23rd Light Horse Brigade and was still serving at the time he enlisted to the Army.

He trained both at Keswick and Melbourne until his embarkation date of 27th June 1916 on board the HMAT Barambah.

He arrived at Plymouth, England on the 25th August 1916, and on the 27th August Harry moved to the 3rd Training Battalion in England. On the 16th October he moved from the Training Battalion to the Australian Divisional Base Depot at Etaples in France. Harry then moved on 29th October to join the 48th Battalian

On 14th April, 1917 Harry was wounded in action with a gun shot wound to the arm and was admitted to the 1st General Hospital at Etretel. On the 20th April he was transferred to an ambulance train where he was taken to England. He was shipped across on the “Grantully Castle” and on arrival was transferred to the War Hospital at Bath.

Harry was discharged from hospital on the 15th May and was granted a two week furlough returning to the Training Depot at Hurdcott on 30th May.

Harry then proceeded overseas on the 23rd July to France and on the 11th August marched out to rejoin the 48th Battalion.

Harry reported sick on 20th September to the 4th Stationary Hospital at Arques with “scabies”, where on the 29th September he was discharged to return to duty. On 6th October Harry rejoined the 48th Battalion and on the 12th October, Harry was reported “Missing in Action” at Passchendaele, Belgium.

A Court of Enquiry was held on the 8th April, 1918, in England, which concluded that 'Harry Hewish previously reported “Missing in Action on 12th October 1917 is now to be posted as “Killed in Action” in the field at Belgium'.

Private Arthur Freestone of the 48th Battalion was able to describe the event:
" I was with Pte. Hewish October 12th, we had only been in position about half and hour and we were hit with two shells almost together, which buried us and almost blinded me for a week or more, but I do remember seeing Hewish alongside me for an instant and seemed to have some trouble in breathing and was unconscious. I could not see any wounds on him, being unable to do anything myself, there were four or five others in our shell hole, all more or less dazed and I was wondering if any assistance would come for us to get us out; after nearly an hour I tried to find my way about and was picked up by a 3rd Division man who noticed me, whether Hewish was ever found I am unable to say. I did not know my own whereabouts, still if he has been missing since October 12th. I am certain he died where I last saw him without regaining consciousness as I could see no wounds. He must have died of concussion as the shells burst in our sell hole itself, another man next to Hewish was killed outright. The wonder to me is that we were not all killed being so close. I know Hewish a little. About 5ft 8ins in height, medium build and ruddy complexion. He was a signaller in B.Coy and was wounded before at Lagnicourt, April 11th 1917. A bullet wound in the arm. He was very jovial and good natured. "

The death registration of Harry Hewish was on 1st of July, 1918 in Adelaide by A.J. Hewish (his father).

There is a memorial plaque at the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial in Belgium in remembrance of Harry.

Taken from Armitage.cz.cc,

Showing 1 of 1 story


Father  and Mother  A Hewish, Marion Road, Payneham, South Australia
Lived at

Next of kin in service:
3113     Harold Percival Baker
             3rd Light Horse

31599  Arthur Ernest Saunderson
            2nd Field Artillery Brigade
            Returned 16/6/1919 



Described on enlisting as 22 years old; single;
Church of England

Enlisted: 14 April 1916 at Adelaide, SA

27/6/1916             Embarked from Melbourne on board HMAT (A37) Barambah
                             10th Infantry, 18th reinforcements



12/10/1917           Killed in Action
                             No known grave

Commemorated:   The Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial
                             Panel 17, Belgium

His name is located at panel 146 in the Commemorative Area at the Australian War Memorial, Canberra, ACT.


British War Medal: 42294

Victory Medal: 41844

Memorial Plaque and Scroll: 342744

Sourced and submitted by Julianne T Ryan and Nathan Rohrlach.  19/11/2014.  Lest we forget.