Charles Frederick PROCTER


PROCTER, Charles Frederick

Service Number: 230
Enlisted: 2 May 1916
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 10th Machine Gun Company
Born: Beulah, Victoria, date not yet discovered
Home Town: Woomelang, Yarriambiack, Victoria
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Labourer
Died: Died of wounds, Near Steernwerck Belgium (2nd Australian Casualty Clearing Station), France, 30 January 1917, age not yet discovered
Cemetery: Trois Arbres Cemetery, Steenwerck, Nord Pas de Calais
Plot I, Row E, Grave No. 4, Trois Arbres Cemetery, Steenwerck, Nord Pas de Calais, France
Memorials: Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

2 May 1916: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, SN 230, 10th Machine Gun Company
27 May 1916: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 230, 10th Machine Gun Company, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
27 May 1916: Embarked AIF WW1, Private, SN 230, 10th Machine Gun Company, --- :embarkation_roll: roll_number: '21' embarkation_place: Melbourne embarkation_ship: HMAT Ascanius embarkation_ship_number: A11 public_note: '' !st Reinforcements


Charles Frederick PROCTER was born in 1894 in the town of Beulah in Victoria
His father was George Alfred Charles Waterford PROCTER
His mohter was Harriet Ann JELLETT

Showing 1 of 1 story

Biography contributed by Steve Larkins

Son of George and Harriet PROCTOR, Woomelang, Victoria.

Enlisted aged 22 years 1 month May 1916.  He embarked barely three weeks later which begs the question how much training he received before departing Australia's shores.

He spent most of the remainder of 1916 in the United Kingdom.  The 3rd Division, of which he was part, was based at the Salisbury Plain as it worked up for deployment to France, under the command of Major General John Monash.  The Machine Gun Companies were allocated one in each Brigade, where they we were allocated into the defensive lines of their supported Battalions, providing direct (ie aimed at the target line of sight) and indirect fire support (aimed by applying an elevation and bearing to a target out of sight from the firing point).

He was hospitalised towards the end of the year with mumps.  Following recovery, he marched out to rejoin his unit on 31 December, by which time the Division was beginning to move to France and an introduction to trench warfare in Flanders.

Tragically he became of one of the Division's early casualties when he was wounded by artillery fire on 27 January 2917, incurring a dreaded penetrating abdominal 'General Shrapnel Wound'.  He was evacuated to the 2nd Australian Casualty Clearing Station near Steenwerck, but died of his wounds aged 23, on 31 January 1917.


Compiled by Steve Larkins Jul 2018