Arthur HOLLOW

Poppy

HOLLOW, Arthur

Service Number: 1745
Enlisted: 1 August 1915, Adelaide, South Australia
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 16th Infantry Battalion
Born: Adelaide, 5 August 1893
Home Town: Adelaide, Adelaide, South Australia
Schooling: Currie Street School & Pulteney Street Grammar School
Occupation: Tank-maker
Died: Killed in Action, Belgium, 15 October 1917, aged 24 years
Cemetery: No known grave - "Known Unto God"
Memorials: Adelaide National War Memorial, Adelaide Pulteney Grammar School WW1 & WW2 Honour Board, Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour, Menin Gate Memorial (Commonwealth Memorial to the Missing of the Ypres Salient)
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

1 Aug 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Adelaide, South Australia
11 Jan 1916: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 1745, 32nd Infantry Battalion, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
11 Jan 1916: Embarked AIF WW1, Private, SN 1745, 32nd Infantry Battalion, HMAT Borda, Adelaide
15 Oct 1917: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 1745, 16th Infantry Battalion, Third Ypres

Help us honour Arthur Hollow's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography

"LATE PTE. A. HOLLOW.

The late Pte. Arthur Hollow was bom in Waymouth street, Adelaide, in 1892, and was educated at Currie and Pulteney Street Schools. He served his apprenticeship with Messrs. T. Dawson & Sons as an ironworker, where he worked until his enlistment in 1915. He left Australia in January of the following year. In France he saw nine months' service and was wounded twice. He was sent to England with slight wound and frostbite, and when he was leaving hospital he contracted fever. On recovering he again left for France, where he was killed in action on October 15. He was a member of Pirie Street Sunday School, and a keen supporter of St. Luke's Cricket and Football teams. He was also an active member of the Albert District of Rechabites, and was at the time of his departure for the front assistant superintendent of juveniles." - from the Adelaide Observer 17 Nov 1917 (nla.gov.au)

Read more...