Cephas Ratchue HAINES


HAINES, Cephas Ratchue

Service Number: 651
Enlisted: 25 August 1914, Adelaide, South Australia
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 10th Infantry Battalion
Born: Mount Gambier, South Australia, 21 June 1887
Home Town: Mount Gambier, Mount Gambier, South Australia
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Farmer
Died: Killed in Action, Pozieres, France, 22 July 1916, aged 29 years
Cemetery: No known grave - "Known Unto God"
No known grave, Villers-Bretonneux Memorial, Villers-Bretonneux, Picardie, France
Memorials: Adelaide National War Memorial, Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour, Millicent War Memorial, Mount Gambier War Memorial
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

25 Aug 1914: Enlisted AIF WW1, Adelaide, South Australia
20 Oct 1914: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 651, 10th Infantry Battalion
20 Oct 1914: Embarked AIF WW1, Private, SN 651, 10th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Ascanius, Adelaide
Date unknown: Wounded SN 651, 3rd Infantry Battalion

Help us honour Cephas Ratchue Haines's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.



The sad intelligence was conveyed in a telegram from the military authorities to the Ven. Archdeacon Samwell, on Thursday, that Private Cephus R. Haines, of the 3rd Machine Gun Company, late the 10th Battalion, A.I.F., had been killed in action on July 22, in France. The deceased soldier was the fifth son of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Haines, of the Sandy Waterhole, and was born at Mount Gambierr on June 22, 1887, so that he was 29 years of age. He was a strong well built young man, and was a typical Australian soldier, such as the Empire is proud of. He enlisted early in the war, and after some months of training in Adelaide, went to Egypt for further training, with the contingent that was going there at the time the notorious Emden was destroyed. The Sydney, the Australian cruiser that fought her, was one of the escorts of the transports. After further training in Egypt, Private Haines was one of the famous 10th Battalion, which so distinguished itself in the landing on Gallipoli. He was nearly drowned in the landing. The boat he was in was swamped by the fire of the enemy, and two of the men in her were killed and others wounded, and Private Haines fell into the water. He would have been drowned had he not caught a rope that was trailling from a boat and was thus pulled to the shore. He went through all the dangers and hardships of the Gallipoli campaign, and had a part in the historical departure. Subsequently his company was transferred to the French front, where he had further narrow escapes. Writing to his parents a few weeks ago he said that on one occaison a shell burst near him and destroyed his "dicksy" (a small cooking utensil that soldiers carry with them.) It is not known here yet as to how he was killed. Much sympathy is expressed towards Mr. and Mrs. A. Haines in their bereavement." - from the Mount Gambier Border Watch 19 Aug 1916 (nla.gov.au)