Edward Kenneth BOYD

Badge Number: S4841, Sub Branch: Goolwa

BOYD, Edward Kenneth

Service Number: 35199
Enlisted: 1 October 1916
Last Rank: Gunner
Last Unit: Field Artillery Brigades
Born: Magill, 4 September 1897
Home Town: Leabrook, City of Burnside, South Australia
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Letterpress machinist
Died: 8 April 1975, aged 77 years, cause of death not yet discovered, place of death not yet discovered
Cemetery: Centennial Park Cemetery, South Australia
Memorials: Burnside Public School Roll of Honour, Tusmore Burnside District Roll of Honour
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

9 Nov 1915: Embarked Gunner, 35199, Field Artillery Brigades, HMAT Port Sydney, Melbourne
9 Nov 1915: Involvement Gunner, 35199, Field Artillery Brigades
1 Oct 1916: Enlisted
11 Nov 1918: Involvement Gunner, 35199

World War 2 Service

18 Apr 1942: Enlisted Goolwa, SA

Help us honour Edward Kenneth Boyd's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Saint Ignatius' College

Born in Magill, South Australia, in 1898, Edward Kenneth Boyd was raised by parents Louisa and Edward Boyd. He was brought up to follow the Baptist faith. He lived on Rochester Street in Knightsbridge, South Australia, and his occupation as a letterpress machinist suggests that he had a skilled trade and was likely engaged in the printing industry. At the time of his enlistment, Edward was still single and just 18 years of age.

Enlisting on the 27 of September 1916, Edward was unmarried, with his father, Edward Boyd, as his next of kin. 

Edward Boyd's journey overseas commenced on 9 November 1917, when he embarked from Melbourne, Victoria, aboard the HMAT A15 Port Sydney. As part of the Field Artillery Brigade, Reinforcement 27, he made his way to the Western Front.

After the armistice, Gunner Edward Boyd continued his service, returning to England for a brief leave in April 1919 before rejoining his unit in France. Eventually, on 26 May 1919, he was transferred back to England and later left for Australia on 13 July 1919. His commitment to the cause earned him the British War Medal and Victory Medal as lasting reminders of his service.