William Hood BALL

BALL, William Hood

Service Number: 770
Enlisted: 24 August 1914, Enlisted Rockhampton, Queensland.
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 9th Infantry Battalion
Born: Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia, 17 June 1893
Home Town: Rockhampton, Rockhampton, Queensland
Schooling: Allanstown State School, Queensland, Australia
Occupation: Fireman
Died: Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia, 9 July 1948, aged 55 years, cause of death not yet discovered
Cemetery: North Rockhampton Cemetery, Qld
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

24 Aug 1914: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, 770, 9th Infantry Battalion, Enlisted Rockhampton, Queensland.
24 Sep 1914: Involvement Private, 770, 9th Infantry Battalion, --- :embarkation_roll: roll_number: '9' embarkation_place: Brisbane embarkation_ship: HMAT Omrah embarkation_ship_number: A5 public_note: ''
24 Sep 1914: Embarked Private, 770, 9th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Omrah, Brisbane
29 May 1915: Wounded AIF WW1, Private, 770, 9th Infantry Battalion, ANZAC / Gallipoli, Wounded, loss of right eye.
5 Jul 1915: Discharged AIF WW1, Private, 770, 9th Infantry Battalion, Returned to Australia.

Mr.William Hood Hall.

Morning Bulletin (Rockhampton, Qld. : 1878 - 1954), Wednesday 11 August 1948, page 3


Mr W H. Ball

Mr. William Hood Ball, who was at the landing on Gallipoli in 1915, died in Rockhampton re-cently. He was 55 years of age and was born in Rockhampton.

He was among the first batch of volunteers to leave here with the AIF in World War No. 1, and be-fore that he served with the senior cadets and Port Curtis Infantry. He was a member of the famous 9th Battalion which took part in the Dardanelles campaign. Early on the morning of May 19, 1915, when the Turks made a deter-mined but fruitless effort to drive the Anzacs off the Peninsula, Mr. Ball lost an eye as the result of gunshot wounds. He subsequently returned to Australia and was de-clared unfit for further service.

On his return Mr. Ball took a keen interest in the welfare of re-turned men. He held an execu-tive position on the Rockhampton sub-branch of the RSSAILA for several years and was a past presi-dent of the Anzac House com-mittee. He was also a member of the Gallipoli League of Anzacs.

He had been employed in the service of the Railway Department for many years. In sporting life he played with the Eureka Senior Football Club and was a skilled oarsman.

He is survived by his wife and four daughters, Mrs. W. Skinner (Townsville) and Misses Joan, Jean and Gwen (Rockhampton).

Showing 1 of 1 story