Gordon Henry EVANS


EVANS, Gordon Henry

Service Number: 11832
Enlisted: 26 July 1915
Last Rank: Driver
Last Unit: 4th Field Artillery Brigade
Born: Windsor, Victoria, Australia, January 1890
Home Town: Sale, Gippsland, Victoria
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Hairdresser
Died: Shrapnel wound to head, France, 11 October 1918
Cemetery: Busigny Communal Cemetery Extension
Busigny Communal Cemetry Extension (Plot *, Row C, Grave No. 62), France, Busigny Communal Cemetery Extension, Busigny, Cambrai, Nord Pas de Calais, France
Memorials: Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

26 Jul 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Gunner, SN 11832, 4th Field Artillery Brigade
28 Jan 1916: Involvement Gunner, SN 11832, 4th Field Artillery Brigade
28 Jan 1916: Embarked Gunner, SN 11832, 4th Field Artillery Brigade, HMAT Themistocles, Melbourne
9 Mar 1916: Transferred AIF WW1, Gunner, 22nd Field Artillery (Howitzer) Brigade
9 Aug 1916: Transferred AIF WW1, Gunner, 2nd Divisional Ammunition Column
20 Nov 1916: Promoted AIF WW1, Driver, 2nd Divisional Ammunition Column
4 Jul 1917: Transferred AIF WW1, Driver, 4th Field Artillery Brigade
11 Oct 1918: Involvement Driver, SN 11832

Help us honour Gordon Henry Evans's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Evan Evans

From the East Gippsland Family History Group Inc 2015

Gordon Henry Evans

Bairnsdale Rowing Club (VIC)

Dvr G.H. Evans 11832

Killed in Action France 11 October 1918 Aged 28 years

Born in Prahran in 1890.

Gordon Henry Evans was a well known local hairdresser and tobacconist when he enlisted on 26 June 1915. Earlier in the year he had married local girl Ellen Mooney in Bairnsdale. He joined the 4th Field Artillery and left Australia in January the following year. He was a gunner in the field before becoming a Driver. In August 1917 he received gunshot wounds to his left leg and after the wounds had healed he was granted leave to England to recover from the general exhaustion that most of the men suffered. He re-joined his unit the 10th Battery, in October 1917. He died instantly on 11 October twelve months later when a piece of an exploding shell pierced his skull. According to his commanding officer of the time his death was deeply regretted by the whole battery.